Chapter 27

(Y/n)'s POV

~IDOLiSH7's next concert~

Tsumugi gave my hand a squeeze, taking a deep breath as she did so. The boys had practised endlessly for this moment. Nothing could go wrong, or so I hoped. I had every belief that they would make this a success, just like I had believed in Trigger.

"We're ready to begin," said a staff member.
"Okay, let's get this show started," Tsumugi replied.
"Yes ma'am."

We watched in anticipation as colourful lights illuminated the stage and loud music blasted through the speakers. Fans cheered enthusiastically as they appeared on stage and officially started the concert.

Mr Takanashi had permitted for me to use a headset in the event that something went wrong, although I doubted such a situation arising. So far so good. As much I'd love to be sitting in the audience, I had a job to do and that was to ensure the smooth running of this concert.

Tsumugi stood by the window, a large smile gracing her face as she continued to watch the boys. I stood behind her, resting my chin on my hand as I did so. They had improved so much since I'd first seen them.

Even from here, I could feel the energy and love. I could sense the excitement and adrenaline. That was, until the stage blacked out. The music had also ceased. Everything was quiet.

"What happened?" Tsumugi asked.
"There was a temporary blackout. It'll take a while to get everything working again," replied a staff member.
"We have to end this show," exclaimed the director.
"No, you can't!" Tsumugi said.
"But there's no way we can continue."
"You chose to put them on this show. I trust that you believed this would be a good opportunity for you. Why end it now? We wait."

The director turned to look at me. I held his gaze, unwilling to give in.

"Is there any way to get the power on faster?"
"We have a backup supply but it only powers the spotlights," said someone on the management team.
"Use those. Shine it on the stage," Tsumugi exclaimed.
"What?"
"I trust them. Their dancing will be able to reach their fans without the music. Please!"

I gave the girl an approving smile. A successful idol group loved by all could not be formed without a good manager who believed in them. She returned a small smile, clenching her fists in determination.

The spotlights were aimed at the centre of the stage. I held my breath. Tamaki immediately jumped in front and started dancing. Mentally breathing a sigh of relief, I continued to watch his freestyle dancing.

He really was good at dancing. Even with no music, his movements were relaxed yet composed. Metaphorically speaking, he would definitely be put in the spotlight. His talent could not be ignored.

Soon enough, the power was back on. Sogo appeared first after Tamaki retreated to the back. Fans cheered and cheered. Everyone was focused on the duo before the rest of IDOLiSH7 joined in.

Tsumugi pulled me into a hug, surprising me but for a second before I smiled and returned the gesture. This show was a success despite that minor setback. The boys had pulled it off.

I relaxed with Tsumugi still holding my arm. With this, I believed that they had the potential to climb over any obstacles blocking their way. I was happy, not only for myself but for them as well.

~Some time later~

"Good job guys!"
"That power outage scared me for a bit," Riku admitted.
"Well, you guys managed to pull it off. Tsumugi's been jumping up and down the whole time-"
"I-I was not!" she cut in.

I laughed, avoiding her flailing arms as she tried to cover my mouth. Hiding behind Iori, I soon escaped her moment of embarrassment and playful rage.

The door to the office suddenly opened as someone stepped inside. The room immediately quietened down, going almost too quiet. I peeked out from behind the male's shoulder to see familiar eyes gazing right back at me.

"Yo (Y/n)."

Where the hell was his disguise?! Why would he just waltz in here unannounced? Everyone's mouths dropped opened upon realising that he 'somehow' knew me, a simple girl who just happened to be their assistant manager.

"Momo, what are you doing here?"
"I heard from your brother that this is where you work. It's my day off. I just wanted to come visit," he replied.

Gaku-nii...someone would be getting themselves into trouble tonight. More problems to pile on my shoulders.

"You know Re:vale's Momo?!" everyone asked.
"Yep, (Y/n)-chan and I are good friends."
"You're the real Momo, right?" Riku asked.
"Of course I am."
"And you're just here to see (Y/n)?" Sogo finished.
"Yep."

I quickly dragged the male outside, not stopping until we had gone down the corridor and into the next hallway. He simply flashed a grin my way, showing his perfectly white teeth.

"You know who my brother is?"
"Didn't he tell you?" he replied with a frown.
"No."
"I found out but I haven't told anyone. I was surprised to find that you worked two jobs."
"Well, yeah. There-"

I mouthed an apology as I answered the phone, regretting it as soon as I heard his voice on the other end.

"Was there something you needed to tell me?"
"Did some gang approach you last week?" father asked.
"Why do you care?"
"Your brother wouldn't shut up about keeping my enemies in check."
"Of course you call just to get that off your back. You didn't think to call to, oh I don't know, ask if I'm okay?"
"Seeing as how you're talking back to me like how you normally do, I don't need to ask."

He hung up. I clutched my phone, almost banging my head against the window until I realised that Momo was still here, watching me with concern etched into his face.

"You okay?" he asked.
"Yeah."
"Ne (Y/n), is someone not being nice to you?"

I couldn't help but laugh. The tension in my chest rose and dispersed into nothing. What a strange man he was...

"You're too cute," I replied as I ruffled his hair.
"H-hey, I'm older than you!"
"Hmm? What was that?"
"*pouts* Meanie."
"You said it was your day off, right?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Care to help with some practise?"
"Your brother warned me about this, but sure. I don't mind one bit."
"I like to take my chances."
"I can tell."