Chapter 48

(Y/n)'s POV

Tenn's fingers tightened around my hand. My gaze slipped to his face, catching the brief moment of worry that had flashed like lightning. His mouth melted into a practised smile as he caught my eye.

"Worried that people'll notice that you're idols?"
"Nothing can ever slip past you, can it?" he commented.
"...don't worry, nothing'll happen."

The soft breeze caressed our skin as it rushed past, gently tousling our hair. We walked down the hidden alleyways, passing ancient buildings that still remained beautiful in its deteriorating age.

I breathed in the crisp Okinawan air, feeling my worries blow away with the wind. Ryuu must've treasured his time here. I've been in the city my whole life. I've never taken the time to take pleasure in the small things offered beyond its walls.

I looked behind, seeing Gaku-nii flash a small grin. He walked up to my side and took my other hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. His eyes remained thoughtful somehow, and I knew why.

"Man, I sure wish Tsumugi was here."

The male stiffened, his grip going rigid.

"It would be nice to have a 'girlfriend'. I mean, I'm always surrounded by men."
"You're the one choosing to manage two idol groups," Gaku-nii retorted.
"Hey, it's not like the thought never crossed your mind. So how's it going with Tsumugi? Any progress?"
"What do you mean 'any progress'?"
"You know perfectly well what I mean."
"Tch, you'll never hear what you want to hear come out of my mouth."
"But you know it's gonna happen sooner or later."

I felt his hand twitch slightly, knowing that I had hit a nerve. He pointedly directed his gaze elsewhere, signalling the end of this conversation. It was now my turn to ponder the relationship I had with Iori.

Were we really just...business partners? I refused to believe that. I wanted to trust the fact that something more could happen between us. Yet...all my efforts seemed to be in vain.

Tenn's grip tightened, making me look up past Ryuu's large build. Nagi flashed a smile as soon as I noticed him. Beside him stood Iori and a girl with an innocent smile and beautiful, gold eyes.

"Hey, you guys on your lunch break?"
"Yeah, are you?" Nagi replied.
"Yep. Where're you guys going?"
"We were gonna meet up with the others but this girl got lost so we're helping her."
"I see."
"Ne, why are you holding both of their hands?" asked the girl.
"*smiles* Because it's fun."

She cocked her head to the side, her long maroon hair cascading down as the wind blew past. I could feel a burning gaze staring me down as I slowly edged past with the rest of Trigger, saying a simple goodbye.

Iori's POV

I caught her eye, yet her curious gaze gave nothing away. The lost girl took a hold of my sleeve, shaking it slightly to get my attention. I tore my focus away from (Y/n) and faced the girl whose name I still hadn't gotten.

"Hey bocchan, let's go," she exclaimed.
"'B-bocchan'?..."
"Come on! You too, mister!"

She pulled us down the path they had gone, urging Nagi and I to catch up. The girl reached out and managed to grasp (Y/n)'s arm, undoubtedly startling everyone.

"Y-yes?" (Y/n) asked.
"You guys know where (cafe name) is, right?"
"Yeah, I know," replied Ryuu.
"That's great! My mum's waiting for me there. I was wondering if you guys'd be able to take me there...I mean, we're all a little lost..."
"Sure thing," said (Y/n).
"Bocchan, go for it!" the girl whispered.
"Huh?"
"You're love-stricken, I can tell."
"*blush* W-what?"

I lost my balance as she gave me a heavy push, completely shattering my image of the weak stature I had associated with her small build. Unable to steady myself, I crashed into (Y/n)'s back, instinctively wrapping my arms around her waist to keep us both from falling.

She turned her head, her nose brushing against mine as my cheeks darkened. A low chuckle suddenly turned into a boisterous laugh as her brother leaned over in laughter.

"S-sorry!"
"It's fine, Iori. But you, on the other hand, need to stop laughing!" she scolded her brother.
"But it was hilarious!"

He dodged her hand as she attempted to hit him, instead going to Ryuu's side. I looked back, noticing the girl high-five Nagi. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves.

"Hey, you two can go have lunch together. We'll just be on our way," Tenn exclaimed while ushering the others away.
"H-hey!" (Y/n) yelled.

We were left alone. I avoided her gaze, feeling her beautiful eyes following my movements. We started walking at a comfortable, slow pace. The wind whistled, its slender fingers tousling our hair.

I waited for her to speak up yet she didn't. Her expression remained calm and peaceful, yet I wanted to know what was on her mind. She once again looked up, managing to meet my anxious eyes.

"Hey Iori?"
"Yeah?"
"...what are we?"
"...what do you want us to be?"
"I..."

She stopped. I turned around to look at her as she contemplated the question. I closed the distance between us, taking her chin by my fingers. Nervously leaning in, wanting to take her for myself...

I stopped just short of touching her lips. I didn't deserve her. What was I doing? I immediately pulled away, offering a small smirk as an attempt to tease her.

"Why're you blushing?"
"S-shut up!" she exclaimed with annoyance.
"Come on, tomato face. Let's go get some lunch."
"Tch, fine then, Mr stoic face."

Her lips quirked up into a soft grin as we searched for a good restaurant. I gently slipped my hand over hers, interlacing our fingers before feeling her tighten her grip. This was fine...wasn't it?

I couldn't keep acting like this. I needed to sort my feelings out. She didn't need someone who couldn't even figure out what they wanted...