Chapter 91

(Y/n)'s POV

Cold, bone-clenching water dripped down my chin, my clothes, my hair. Naomi's 'lackeys' stood guarding this large, desolate room. A camera looked me in the eye, not yet on but a feeling of dread arose in my stomach.

The room was an unruly sight. Blood stained the walls, an odd rustic scent drenched the atmosphere. Yet what scared me wasn't the room's environment. It was the three men standing guard.

Each had a gun strapped to their belts. Their outfits screamed death but above all, each carried a bat. I bit my lip to keep from shivering...not only from the cold.

The tallest of the three took a few steps forward and roughly lifted my chin up to meet his steel gaze. I kept my expression neutral but on the inside, I was terrified. I didn't want to relive that moment...

"I don't like the look in your eyes," he commented.
"And I don't like the look in yours either."
"Hmm, we might have some fun with you. Naomi-sama will let us off if it's just once, won't she, boys?"
"'Naomi-sama'? Seriously? What did she do for you to respect her that much?..."

He slapped me across the face. A cut on my lip oozed out blood but I simply laughed. My lost friend seemed to have a lot of gangsters around her. Of course she'd be jealous...I was surrounded by idols whilst she bathed in the darkness.

Yet...she was also a rising actress. I remained an assistant manager but she had followed in my mother's footsteps. She had managed to achieve a little of an illusionary dream.

Someone yanked on my hair, forcing my head back as the leader leaned in uncomfortably close. I adorned a smirk, spitting in his face as he hurriedly pulled away.

"You wench!"

He smashed the bat on the ground, successfully earning a slight whimper from me. I quickly hid my fear behind a wall of bravado, yet my heart was trembling. I didn't want to go through this again.

Iori's POV

Gaku's gaze never left my face. His chin was propped up on his hands, his brows furrowed as if deep in thought. I didn't have the nerve to face him right now, not when his sister was kidnapped because of me.

"Are you sure this is gonna work?" asked Nagi.
"Well, we don't know until we try," replied Tenn.
"Besides, do you have a better plan?" Yamato asked.
"I'm all for it. If it means getting her back," Gaku exclaimed.
"Of course we will. Iori'll be able to do it for sure," reassured Riku.
"Oi, you definitely have to do this right," Gaku said.
"I will, I swear on my life."
"...she almost died once," Gaku whispered.
"What?"
"It was just a few years ago...I couldn't do anything. I couldn't protect her."

Tears appeared through the cracks in his facade, hidden by his hand. Tenn gently took over for him.

"She was taken by two drunks. They wanted to have fun with her, and when she fought back...they beat her with a bat," he said softly.
"There was so much blood...I thought it was too late..." Gaku exclaimed.
"We'll definitely bring her back," reassured Mitsuki.

Tamaki suddenly threw an arm around my shoulders, offering a carefree smile that seemed to ease our worries for the time being. He was trembling. On the outside, he was attempting to lighten the mood yet he was scared for her life.

I admired his strength. He didn't seem to notice my incapability nor my guilty heart. I felt hopeless. I was helpless. The phone vibrated on the table, emitting a soft ringtone that contrasted against the sickening mood.

"Naomi," I greeted.
"Hey Iori, meet me at (cafe name) in an hour."

~One hour later~

She was there, just like she said. I hid my nerves, and strode through the glass doors. A sickly sweet smile graced her face as I slid into the seat in front of her. Two steaming cups of coffee created an aromatic atmosphere around the increasing tension.

"What do you want?"
"It's simple really. I just want you. I'll release her if you promise to date me and never betray me," she exclaimed.
"Is she unharmed?"
"Hmm, I told the boys not to harm her but they don't exactly have a knack for following these kind of orders."
"...how did you even..."
"How do I know these gangs? My deceased cousin was friends with some of them. Ne, so will you accept?"

My fingers clenched together beneath the table. Eventually, the angst manifested into delirious laughter. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore. I had finally gotten her back, and now she had slipped through my fingers.

"Why are you laughing? Do you think this is funny? We're talking about her life here," said Naomi.
"Oh, so you do care. You don't want to be associated with murder, even if it is indirect."
"What do I care about murder? Do you accept or not?"
"Just face it, Naomi. This won't satisfy you. You know that I'll continue to love (Y/n)."
"Shut up. You will love me. I'm better than her."
"(Y/n) would never resort to such dangerous methods."
"She's her father's daughter. What makes you say she won't?"

Because she was always smiling. Because she always did things alone to ensure her friends' happiness. Because she made me fall in love with her. I loved her. I loved her so much that it hurt.

Naomi suddenly leaned forward and lifted my chin with her fingers. She pressed her lips to mine before I turned away, leaving her in a pool of sorrowful rejection.

"Iori..."
"Naomi, I just want her back. Please don't do this to me..."
"...fine, if that's how it's going to be."

She pulled out her phone and placed it on the table. A video flickered on. All the colour drained from my face. The shivering in my heart began once again. Naomi smirked triumphantly as I stared at the screen.

(Y/n) was strapped to a chair with rope cutting into her body, dried blood clinging to her face. Her clothes were slightly ripped, her face a reflection of concealed pain. A man shoved her, forcibly pulling her out of unconsciousness.

"Oi missy, the camera's on. Say hello," he said.
"Ugh, and I was having such a good dream...so who is it? Naomi? Are you the one watching this?" (Y/n) croaked, dry laughter escaping her mouth.

I gritted my teeth as Naomi offered an angelic smile. The man pulled (Y/n)'s head back, swinging the bat once at the floor. The girl in his grasp immediately winced, all confidence slipping through invisible gaps. How could Naomi do this?...