Chapter 54

(Y/n)'s POV

~A few days later~

I stretched my arms, letting out a sigh of relief yet that relief was short-lived. A young girl, most likely an intern, rushed to my side and asked for my signature regarding IDOLiSH7's concert.

"Here you go."

She bowed in thanks before rushing off. I was soon bombarded by a number of staff members asking for various tasks, like the venue setup and other organisational things.

I stole a quick glance at the group now performing for the TV program and smiled. Tsumugi had done a great job securing this spot. I received a call from Anesagi soon after.

"Yes?"
"You're needed in the afternoon," she exclaimed.
"Alright, where at?"
"Just in their practice room. We'll head to the venue together."
"Okay, bye."

I put my phone back as soon as a voice spoke up from behind me. A hand swung me around, much to my surprise, yet a polite smile tugged at my mouth nevertheless. A middle-aged man with sharp green eyes and slicked brown hair met my gaze.

His butler-like assistant dusted his hands before returning to his place beside the director. I bowed and greeted him with a simple introduction.

"Are you in charge of those boys?" he asked.
"I'm just their assistant manager, Izuki-san."
"You seem well-informed about who I am."
"Of course, Director Izuki Haruto."
"I've come to see the boys in the flesh. Might I be able to see the manager?"
"She's busy at the moment. If you'd like, I can-"
"I asked for the manager. You are just a mere assistant. Don't talk back to me."
"She's very competent, sir, so I don't appreciate your judging her value before you've even seen her work," Iori stated as he came to stand beside me.
"Ah Iori, was it? I want you to be the male lead in the drama. There are some details I'd like to discuss with your manager," the director continued as if Iori had never spoken.

I watched as he led the young male away and towards Tsumugi. Iori turned to spare me a glance, as I smiled to ease his concern. In fact, I was worried about them. If the director's attitude was like that...

The boys had gathered around the director as he talked to Tsumugi about what I assumed to be the plans regarding the drama. A staff member brought more paperwork for me, to which I sighed and took them into my arms.

Tamaki pointed in my direction, immediately catching my attention. The director turned to stare at me with a look of disdain. I bowed my head slightly yet the defiance in my eyes didn't fade.

The director beckoned me over, to which I silently complied. Although it seemed that everyone was oblivious to his disregard for someone of my 'status', he continued on.

"You think she would be suitable for the role?" he asked.
"Mmhmm, (Y/n)-chan is really good at acting," answered Tamaki.
"May I ask what this is about?"
"He wants us to choose a female lead in the drama we'll be starring in. He figures it'd be better if we knew someone rather than get a stranger but..." Sogo started.
"Choose someone else," the director said curtly.
"Are you perhaps letting outward appearances get in the way of your judgement?" Nagi asked.
"What do you mean?"
"(Y/n)'s beautiful."
"Oi Nagi, now's not the time for flirting," scolded Mitsuki.
"I'm telling the truth! He seems to be focused on-"
"She is just an assistant, regardless of her skill. What will the audience think? We need something with that will stimulate an even bigger reaction," exclaimed the director.
"Do you really need to insult her like that?" Iori asked.
"Iori."

I shot him a look. His eyes asked a question, asked why I was putting up with something like this. This was an important opportunity. I couldn't ruin it for them just because of my own feelings of injustice.

"I know someone. If you'd like, I can introduce you all to her. I met her when I went abroad. If I remember correctly, she works at her mum's cafe now."
"Interesting. A love story between an idol and a barista. Call her right away."

~Some time later~

I strode up to the door and pushed it open. The bell chimed melodiously as a girl with auburn hair and gorgeous blue eyes greeted us. They lit up in recognition as her gaze wandered over to my own.

"(Y/n)? Is that you?"
"Yeah, long time no see, Naomi."
"Come on, sit down. I...omg, you guys are IDOLiSH7! I'm a fan!"
"*smiles* Nice to meet you," Riku said cheerfully.

She quickly pulled me over to the side and asked why I was with an idol group. She had also gone to the same middle school as me in America so it was no big surprise to say that she knew who my mother was...yet she knew nothing about my real father.

"I work as their assistant manager."
"Eh?! No way!"
"We've actually come here with an offer."
"An offer?"
"The boys will be starring in a drama. They need a female lead. I recommended you."
"B-but you're more suited for the role! I mean, your mum's-"
"They don't know and I intend to keep it that way."
"I see...but still! You're-"
"The director disagrees, and besides, you were in the drama club with me, weren't you? Your acting was great. You'll have no problem."
"But..."
"It's your choice. I can find someone else if you don't want to do it."
"...what kind of drama is it?"
"A romance one surrounding the lives of IDOLiSH7."
"And who's the male lead?"
"Iori."
"*blush* Really?!"
"Is he your favourite?"

She nodded shyly. Ignoring the pain gnawing at my heart, I smiled brightly and teased her with a nonchalant comment. Her blush darkened even more as she commanded me to stop.

"Who knows? Maybe he'll fall in love with you."
"(Y/n)!"
"So? Do you accept?"
"Y-yes!"

I turned my head and met the hopeful gazes of the boys sitting near the window. After seeing my nod, smiles stretched across their faces. I took Naomi's hand and led her over to the table.

"Why don't you guys get to know each other a bit?"
"Where are you going?" Iori asked once I had seated Naomi down.
"To my other job. You guys are doing a charity concert a little later today, aren't you? Take Naomi and have fun. Tsumugi'll be there."
"You aren't coming?" Yamato asked.
"No, sorry."

I waved goodbye before leaving the cafe.