OS Number 15 - Inspired by Kan Irandil

Song and Character Credits – All rights belong to their respective owners

Vetri opens his eyes and sees that the room is pitch dark. He sits up quietly and searches for his phone which he had kept near his pillow. It was the night leading up to Malar's birthday. Vetri had been working hard every day at his field because it was harvest week. On a normal day, he would have stayed awake till 12 midnight but today, he was very tired. Therefore, he had set a vibration alarm for him to wake up ten minutes before midnight to set up the cake for the surprise. However, even before his alarm, Vetri had woken up. Vetri was perspiring due to the heat in the room and he knew that the electricity was cut. He wanted to check the time but his phone was missing.

Kan irandil mothi naan vizhunthaney (Our eyes collided and i fell over)

Kaaranam indriyae naan sirithaney (Without a reason i laughed)

En manadhum yeno ennidam illai (My heart is not mine anymore)

Vendiyae unnidam naan tholaitheney (I knowingly lost it to you)

En uyirin uyirey (My life's soul)

En iravin nilavey (My night's moon)

Un arugil varuven(I will come near you)

Nee tharuvaai varamae (And you will give me a boon)

Just then, in the distance, Vetri notices a small source of light. He rubs his eyes and looks at the source again. Malar who was holding a candle walked in to the room, like an angel.

Vetri: Malar?

Malar: Mama, it is me.

Malar walks to the table and places the candle on the stand. She then goes the bed and sits down.

Malar: The electricity got cut almost 30 minutes ago. Thankfully, there was emergency candles and matchstick in the drawer outside.

Malar looks at Vetri and realises that he was perspiring. She reaches out to a hand fan on the bedside table and starts fanning for Vetri.

Vetri: Malar, no need for this.

Malar: Sshhh... I can see that you are perspiring. In fact, i am also fanning for myself.

Oorukulla kodiponnu yaaraiyum nenaikalaiye (In this city, there are one crore girls. Yet i didn't think about any of them.)

Unthan mugam paartha pinney eduvum pidikkalaiye (After i saw your face, I didn't like anything else)

Unnudaiya paarvaiyillae en udambuveguthadi (In your gaze, my body is cooking)

Pakkathila nee irundhaa en vayasu noguthadi (If you are next to me, my age is decreasing)

Kan irandil mothi naan vizhunthaney (Our eyes collided and i fell over)

Kaaranam indriyae naan sirithaney (Without a reason i laughed)

En manadhum yeno ennidam illai (My heart is not mine anymore)

Vendiyae unnidam naan tholaitheney (I knowingly lost it to you)

Vetri takes the fan from Malar's hand and continues fanning for both of them. It was then that Vetri realises that he had still not checked the time. Vetri glances at the clock on the wall and notices that in seven minutes' time, it would be midnight. Vetri see his phone on the side table and picks it up. He tries to switch it on but realises that his phone battery was completely drained.