OS Number 51 - Inspired by Kannamma Unna

Song and Character Credits – All rights belong to their respective owners

Vetri had been hanging out with his friends at their favourite spot in college - the kutty suvar. They were final year students and in these three years of college life, if there was one thing that had remained constant, it was that of the group gathering in the mornings before class. As always, they had been casually seated on the wall and chilling out with random conversations when Vetri's eyes meet someone else's eyes.

Kannamma unna
Manasil ninaikkiren
Paarva paaradi
Pennae

Ennenamoo konji
Pesa thudikkiren
Neeyum pesinaa
Kannae

His heart beat quickens and for a moment, everything around him freezes. A small smile appears on his face and as expected, he receives a smile back.

Enakkulla pudithaaga
Pudhu kaadhal nee thantha
Manasaagum valikooda
Sugamthaanae nee sonna

Sokkatha sokkatha
Yaar pathum sikkaatha
En nenjil yen vandhu
Ennoda thikkaana

Ara paarva nee paathu
Adi nenja kollaatha
Nizhalkooda nadakindra
Sugamkooda nee thantha

He jumps down from the wall and picks up his books from his bike. Ignoring his friends who had been calling out for him, Vetri walks away following the footsteps of that person. With every step that he takes, his heart beats even faster.

Kannamma unna
Manasil ninaikkiren
Paarva paaradi
Pennae

Ennenamoo konji
Pesa thudikkiren
Neeyum pesinaa
Kannae

Everything around him stopped existing. All he could see was the girl in front of him.

"Vetrivel! Inga enna pannura?"

Vetri looks up and sees that he had ended up walking into the Tamil Ayya's class. He looks around to see a few pair of eyes looking at him curiously.

"Ayya, athu onnum illai ayya. Ungala parka thaan vanthaen"

"Ennaiya? Nee padikurathu BA English Literature. Ithu Thamizh vaguppu. Inga yen enna parka vanthiruka Vetri?"

Vetri stammers a little. He glances around the classroom and notices a poster that mentioned about an upcoming Tamil competition.

"Ayya, antha pechu pottikku per kodukalaamnu vanthaen."

"Apadiya, konja neram kalichu va pa. Ippo vaguppu edukanum"

"Ayya, naanum inga irukalaama? Ipo vaguppu edum illa, athan!"

The Tamil Ayya looks at Vetri with a slightly suspicious look before nodding. Vetri smiles and goes to the last bench that was unoccupied. He sits down and his eyes look towards the direction of the girl he had been following.

Oh...mounam pesum
Mozhikooda azhagadi
Aayul neela adhu pothum varudi
Unthan udhadin orangal maraikum
Pudhu mozhi adhai udaitheri

Vellai poovae
Nee endhan nilavadi
Endhan vaanai maraikindra azhagi
Undhan uyirai en swasam
Thoduthena kooradi vandhu kooradi

Once again, everything around him freezes and all that his eyes could focus on was that girl. She was so beautiful and more than anything, her smile and eyes captivated him. Vetri had been one of the most eligible boys in college but had never fallen for anyone. Except this girl.

Nilavae... malare...
Kaviyae...azhagae...
Anaiyaa ozhiyae...
En nenjukulla vaa vaa...

Nilavae... malare...
Kaviyae...azhagae...
En nenjukulla nee vaa...aa..

"Malarvizhi!"

"Ullaen Ayya"

Her voice kept ringing in his head and he kept muttering her name under his breath. Her name was apt - she had beautiful, big eyes just like a freshly bloomed flower. A smile appears on his face again.

"Vetri, thaniya ukkarnthu sirichikittu irukka?"

"Ayya, athu..."

His phone rings. A glance at the screen reminded Vetri of the reality - that he was late for his class and the call was from his friend. He looks up and sees the Tamil Ayya looking at him with questioning eyes.

Vetri smiles sheepishly.

"Ayya, mukiyamana oru vela vanthiduchu. Naan aprama varaen"

Before anyone could process what he said, Vetri takes his books and rushes out of the class. At the doorway, he turns around and glances at Malar before moving out.

Kannamma unna
Manasil ninaikkiren
Paarva paaradi
Pennae

Ennenamoo konji
Pesa thudikkiren
Neeyum pesinaa
Kannae

Vetri had finally settled down at his bench, after a gruelling Q & A with his English Professor who had been furious that he had been late. Vetri opens his notebook and instead of copying the notes, he starts to doodle - A bloomed flower with Malarvizhi in the middle. He uses his finger to caress the completed doodle and smiles. He knew that college life was going to be extra beautiful now that he had a beautiful reason to look forward to every single day.