10. Sunday Morning

The next day I expected Isaac to be already gone like usual but I found him in the living room playing with Elvis.

"No work today?" I asked casually.

"It's Sunday," was all he said.

"Ah, I see," I said and looked down. I still felt a little shy and awkward around him so I just stood there not knowing what to do or say.

It was as if he could sense my uneasiness because he smiled and walked closer to me. He took my hand in his and squeezed it.

"Do I make you uncomfortable, Anna?" he whispered near my ears.

"N...no? Why do you ask?" I asked nervously.

"The fact that you can't even look me in the eyes right now kind of gives it away," he grinned.

"I'm just not used to living with another person anymore, that's all," I said, hoping he believes me.

"How long has it been since he died?" he asked quietly.

I looked away. I hated talking about him. Especially with someone I hardly knew.

"One year," I said.

He pulled me by my wrist and put his arms around me. The sudden hug caught me off guard so I didn't move for a moment. Besides, it was kind of nice being held. My small body was swallowed by his muscular arms and chest. So warm.

Wait, what am I doing? I shouldn't be enjoying this so much. I quickly broke the hug and stepped back.

"I'm okay, really. It was a year ago so..." I let out a nervous chuckle.

"Sure," he said and flashed me those cute dimples.

"I never asked you what happened to those guys that night," I said suddenly.

I tried to forget about that incident but this missing information in my head had been eating me away. I couldn't remember anything after he showed up. How did he save me from them?

He stopped smiling and looked at me intently. "I took care of them, don't worry. They won't bother you anymore," he said.

"Took care of them? You don't mean..." I started to say.

He picked up a lock of my hair and twisted it. "Anna, there are certain things I'm very good at. One of them is getting rid of things that cause problems. They hurt you and they might've hurt other people in the past too so don't worry about what happened to those thugs, okay?" he said.

"I guess you are right," I said quietly.

The bell rang all of a sudden, startling me.

"Expecting someone?" Isaac raised his eyebrows.

Shoot I forgot my sister was coming to visit! How am I going to explain Isaac to her? I guess I have no choice but to tell her about him. I'll just make her swear not to tell everyone else yet. The last thing I need right now is being judged by the rest of my family for trusting a strange man to live in my house.

"Ah that must be my sister, Liliana," I said and went to grab the door.

"Anna! What took you so long to open the door..." she paused as she saw Isaac standing in front of her.

"And who is that fine specimen!" she exclaimed.