32. Accepting Who I am

Isaac's P. O. V.

I've been waking up with nightmares my entire life. It was always the same one, over and over again. They have become a part of me. They were the constant reminders of my troublesome past. I was used to waking up in the middle of the night, trembling with fear and crippling anxiety.

But this time it was different. She was here to hold me and comfort me. I felt safe when I buried my face in the crook of her neck and inhaled her sweet scent. When she was gone I missed her immediately. I needed to hold her again. So I ran back to her room like a scared little boy.

I didn't have any trouble sleeping for the rest of the night. I woke up in the morning with her head rested on my chest and I realized something, this is how I want to wake up for the rest of my life.

"Hey," she smiled and traced her fingers on my jaw.

I grabbed her hand and kissed it. "Hey, wanna stay home with me today?"

"No way, I can't miss work," she giggled.

"Fine. Then can I drop you off?" I asked. I wasn't ready to be apart from her yet.

"I suppose that's fine," she said.

"Thank you for comforting me last night, it helped me sleep," I said and kissed her.

"You know if you need to talk about something, I'm here for you," she said quietly.

"Why are you so nice to me? A bad person like me doesn't deserve it," I asked her.

"You aren't a bad person! You are sweet and funny. I've decided to disregard the criminal part," she laughed.

"So you are saying, I still have a chance to fill in for the boyfriend position?" I teased her.

Her eyes turned dark. "I'm not ready for that yet," she said.

"I understand," I said and kissed her on the forehead.

I dropped her off at the bookstore and ran into Josh. I forgot he worked there too. I wondered if Anna told him about us. Most likely not.

He looked at me suspiciously.

"Well, I'm going to open the cafe and get started. Thank you for dropping me off," Anna said and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

I started to leave but Josh stood in front of me. "Anything I can do for you, Josh?" I asked.

"What exactly is your relationship with Anna?" He went straight to the point.

"That's none of your business," I said gruffly.

"Well Anna is a good friend of mine so I have the right to know," he said.

"I guess that's who we are too. Very good friends, " I replied.

"I see," he said. I could see he didn't believe me entirely and I don't blame him. Why would sweet, innocent Anna be friends with someone that looks like me?

He was not the only one who looks at me like I am the scum of the earth. Everywhere I went, I earned suspicious looks from people. It's not like I can be mad about it since they were absolutely right about me. I was a goddamn scum.

But Anna didn't look at me like that. Even when she saw the true me she accepted me as I am which was the reason I fell in love with her.