45. Revisiting My Pain

I wasn't sure if I should tell him about the guy who cornered me at the alley. Although he threatened me, I felt like I shouldn't hide anything from Isaac anymore. It was someone from his criminal organization so he'll know how to what to do.

"Hmm...that sounds like Xavier. Robert must've put him up to it," Isaac said thoughtfully.

"But why target me? What have I done?" I was confused.

"You didn't do anything wrong. Robert thinks women are distractions and I am his best employee so he wanted to warn you," he smirked.

"This isn't funny! He really scared me," I said.

"I know, I am sorry," he frowned. "He didn't hurt you did he? Because if he did...."

"No I was fine," I said quickly.

He cupped my cheeks. "You are precious to me Anna. I won't let anyone hurt you. Especially not by someone who works with me. I'll talk to Robert," he decided.

"I just...I don't want you to get hurt either," I said and snuggled closer to him.

"Don't worry about me, beautiful. I'm not that easy to kill," he said and proceeded to kiss me again but we got interrupted all of a sudden as his cellphone started to ring.

"Excuse me, I got to take this call," he said and started to talk to the person on the other line.

I went back to my room to change my clothes and freshen up.

The next day went by pretty fast and I couldn't wait to be in Isaac's arms. I was starting to feel hopeful and giddy about our relationship.

It was a Friday night. We just finished having dinner together and I decided to put a movie on and cuddle with him on the couch.

"So, I know you didn't like to talk about him with anyone but I think it's time you tell me what happened to your husband," Isaac said.

I frowned. It was really sudden and I've been trying to bury that painful memory for months now.

"Come on Anna, you know everything about me. You owe me," he insisted.

I knew he was right.

"He...we were on our way to his mom's house by the lake in Florida. I was driving and Josh and Liliana were in the backseat. We were going there to celebrate my birthday at the lake. I was starting to get tired so I got distracted missed the exit. Then..." I paused. Isaac squeezed my hand to encourage me to go on.

"I tried to stop and turn around and then..." I shivered at the memory and how afraid I was. "Then all of a sudden a truck came from the opposite side and hit us. When I woke up, everyone else was hurt but they were fine, but David....he was gone," I closed my eyes.

"I am so sorry that happened," Isaac hugged me.

"It was all my fault," I sobbed.

"It wasn't your fault. Stop blaming yourself. You couldn't have done anything if it was because of the break fail," he said reassuringly.

"I still don't understand how it could've happened. The car was fine when we left. It was supposed to be an amazing trip," I cried.

"I don't know sweetheart," Isaac said and kissed me on the forehead. I let him embrace me. Talking about it did make me feel a lot better.