52. Friend or Enemy?

Isaac P.O.V.

Fate had never been kind to me. Ever since I was little I kept facing tragedy after tragedy. After escaping the world of abuse, I was thrown into a world of murders and destruction. But all of the pain and suffering was about to end as I met the woman of my dreams who loved me back. I was to escape all of that.

But then, this murder happened. Poor Kevin. He didn't deserve to die.

He called me yesterday morning to meet him at the bar to discuss something important. I haven't talked to him since the last time I was there with Anna. I still remembered the way he looked at me when he saw me interacting with Anna. He wasn't happy. I wondered if that's what he wanted to talk to me about. So I went.

He sat me down and stared at me intently.

"What is the nature of your relationship with Anna? Tell me the truth," Kevin asked.

"I love her and she loves me," I gave him the full truth.

"Isaac. I've known Anna since she was a little girl. She is a beautiful, intelligent, and kind young woman. I'd hate to see her get hurt because of you," Kevin sighed.

"What makes you think I'd hurt her? I don't make a habit of hurting those I love," I said firmly.

"I know what kind of things you are into. Just because I turned a blind eye when you lived here doesn't mean I never realized you are a criminal, Isaac. Anna deserves someone better," Kevin said.

"She is an adult so you need to let her decide who she wants to be with. If she chooses to be with a goddamn criminal like me then so be it," I said. There was no way I'd lose her.

"Isaac, listen to me. If you don't let her go, I'll be forced to get the authorities involved!" Kevin stood up and slammed his palm on the table in front of me.

I stood up as well. Rage boiled inside of me. I leaned over to him and looked him in the eyes.

"Listen to me carefully old man. You have no idea what kind of organization I belong to. You get the law involved and blood will shed. I respect you as a father figure so I'd hate it if something happened to you so I suggest you stay out of my business," I said.

Kevin glared at me but didn't say anything else.

"Making threats in the middle of the day I see," I turned around as I heard someone speak. It was Anna's annoying friend Josh.

He stood there glared at me. I could feel the strong hatred he felt towards me. I didn't say anything and left the bar. And that was the last time I saw Kevin alive.

Maybe I somehow dropped the knife there. But who would find it and use it to kill Kevin? And for what reason? Someone who hates me and wanted to frame me? A sudden realization hit me which interrupted my thoughts. I knew someone who hated me more than anyone. Someone who was close to Kevin and Anna.

Josh...