23. Just one Date

I woke up in the morning in my own bed. Wasn't I watching a movie with Isaac? Did he bring me here? I must've fallen asleep. I felt a little embarrassed when I imagined him carrying me to my room. He didn't have to do that.

I went into the kitchen and found him sitting there.

"Morning, roomie," he said and smirked.

"Hey, sorry I fell asleep last night," I said quietly.

"It's all good, I am not doing anything tonight. Want to eat together?" he asked.

"Um...sure, sounds good," I said. I didn't have any plans either and I actually enjoyed spending time with him despite his crude behavior sometimes.

My phone suddenly rang so I answered it. It was from Josh.

"Hey Josh, how are you?" I said.

"Anna! Hey, I just wanted to call and see if you wanted to meet up? There's something I need to talk to you about," he said.

"Um...sure, where?" I asked.

"Does the cafe sound okay?" he asked.

"Sure, I'll be there in 15 minutes," I said and hung up. I noticed Isaac staring at me intently.

"Where are you going in 15 minutes?" he asked.

"I'm going to meet Josh at the cafe," I replied.

"What for?" Isaac looked irritated.

"I don't know? To talk I guess. We are friends after all," I said.

"I'll drop you off," he said.

"That's not necessary. I can go there myself. How about you pick me up instead?" I offered.

Isaac looked like he didn't like my decision but didn't protest anymore. I didn't understand why he was acting all possessive all of a sudden.

Josh was waiting for me outside of the cafe and stood up when he saw me.

"Hey, I am glad you came," he said and smiled.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" I asked.

"About us," he said.

"Us? What do you mean?" I was confused.

"Well, I know I asked you out in the past and you refused to go out on a date with me but I haven't given up yet," Josh said.

"What are you saying? I told you I am not ready to date yet!" I exclaimed.

"I know you are not over his death yet and I understand. But it has been a year, Anna. I am not telling you to forget about him and start something with me right away. But you should give me a chance at least. Give yourself a chance at happiness," Josh said gently.

I knew he was right. I couldn't live like this forever. Alone and miserable.

"Just one date. I promise we'll have a good time. I won't rush anything and if you don't like it we'll end it there," Josh said.

"Okay, one date," I said, giving up. What have I got to lose? At least I knew Josh well enough to hang out with him. Maybe he was right. It'd be good to give him a chance and maybe I'll feel something with him. At this point, I wanted to feel anything other than misery.