Prologue

My life wasn't always a tragedy. It was full of laughter and joy. I had everything I ever wanted. A peaceful job at the bookstore, a cute house full of everything I love, and of course, being married to the love of my life.

My parents never approved of me marrying David.

You are too young to get married, they said. But I didn't listen. We were together since high school. I was one of the few lucky ones who got to marry her high school sweetheart. We were going to be together forever, we were to have beautiful children and grow old together. We had everything we wanted. We were happy.

Then poof! Our happiness ended faster than it began. On a stormy night, I lost David. One little wrong turn and all of my hopes and dreams were crushed alongside his bleeding body.

They told me to move on. Sell the house that David bought for me with all of his memories. But I couldn't. I had to hang on. What was the point of moving forward if it couldn't be with David?

Then one day, everything changed when I met him. He was the stark opposite of David in terms of looks and mannerisms. His voice was gentle and every time he touched me, I felt warm all over my body. His eyes were a bottomless pool of darkness and pain. But those black eyes made me feel something other than despair. They dared me to dream again.