Vol. 7 Ch. 60 Atlas At Last

Your POV

Time Skip
(Brought to you by Chibi Neo building a snowman)

When we got to Atlas and our handcuffs were finally removed, I rubbed my wrists and said, "Not the first time I've been put in handcuffs for the wrong reasons. But I'm glad that they're off now." Then Winter noticed Weiss' engagement ring and said, "Y/N, did you propose to her?" I smirked and said, "I proposed to both her and Yang." Winter smiled and said, "Well then, congratulations to the three of you." I smiled and said, "Thanks, Snow Angel."

Ironwood said, "It is so good to see all of you." Yang spoke first while still massaging her wrist and said, "Our reception didn't really convey that." Ironwood sighed, "I sincerely regret how you were treated by my team." Qrow and I both rolled our eyes with a small huff. Ironwood walked behind his desk to sit down, and Penny and Winter took positions standing at either side of the desk. Then Ironwood said, "When a rogue airship entered our airspace, it raised some… red flags. We assumed the ship was stolen." Ruby said, "Stolen?" Ruby laughed awkwardly, before taking an apologetic tone and saying, "Okay, yeah, it was stolen." Ironwood's eyes widened in surprise. He then smiled, and his shoulders moved a tiny bit with a silent chuckle. Winter, meanwhile, found no humor in the situation and began scolding Weiss, saying, "You stole an Atlas airship?" Weiss watched with a frown as Winter approached her. Winter continued, "What were you thinking!? You might've been shot down! How unbelievably irresponsib─" Weiss surprised and interrupted Winter by hugging her and said, "I'm sorry I worried you. But we did what we had to do." Winter started, "I…" Then she sighed, hugged back, calming down, and said, "I suppose I understand." She then turned her head to glare at Qrow and I, and said, "But I cannot believe that you two allowed this to happen." Qrow replied, "You try stopping these kids when they have their mind set on something. Speaking of which…" We both looked at Ironwood and I said, "We have some important information for you that's… confidential." Winter returned to her position beside Ironwood's desk and Penny said, "Oh, is it about the Relics?" Winter added, "Or perhaps the Winter Maiden?" Qrow said surprised, "You told them?"

Ironwood replied, "Hm." Ironwood stood from his desk and retrieved the Relic of Knowledge from a drawer, making it grow to its normal size as he holds it up. Then he said, "Did you really think you were the only one who got to work on a new plan after Beacon? With Ozpin gone, I needed my own team of people I could trust. So yes, I told them. The Ace-Ops too. Which is why I'm so glad you're here… with this." He gestured to the Relic and added, "Until now, I believed it was impossible to truly turn the tide against Salem. Oz has pushed her back, has kept victory out of her claws, but she will keep returning stronger and stronger… unless we destroy her." He placed the Relic atop his desk, while Ruby looked deep in thought and said, "But… what about the Atlas Relic?" Ironwood said, "You mean the Staff of Creation?" Penny answered, "It's safe inside the Vault!" I asked, "And the Winter Maiden?" Winter replied, "She is secure and in stable condition." Yang asked, "Stable condition? What does that─" Qrow replied, "She's, uh, not exactly a spring chicken." Ironwood said, "I know how this all looks. Recalling my military? The embargo? I probably don't seem the most trustworthy right now." Blake asked, "Then why continue it?" Nora said, "The people of Mantle are hurting!" Ironwood replied, "I needed to ensure Salem couldn't infiltrate Atlas. And I wanted my military here, protecting my people." Yang said, "But it's not protecting them! It's making everyone hate you." Ironwood replied, "It's a price I'm willing to pay." I scoffed and said, "If I were you, I'd split the military in half. One half to guard Atlas and one half to guard Mantle. With all do respect, but having all of it guard only Atlas is just selfish and, hell, it's cowardly. You can take my word for it, I've been around way longer than you or even Atlas has." Ironwood ignored me as he reached over to a glowing panel of buttons on his desk and tapped a button that resembled a table emitting light from its surface. Ironwood said, "Just as you all have been entrusted with the knowledge of Salem's existence, I need you all to trust me. I have a plan."

After Ironwood told us about his plan to reestablish global communications with Amity Colosseum and tell Remnant about Salem, he said, "Trying to hide the truth from the world will eventually kill us all." I rolled my eyes and muttered, "Speak for yourself." Ironwood pressed a button on his remote, and the hologram disappeared, the table transformed and receded into the floor and the shutters pulled away from the windows. Qrow spoke up and said, "Oz spent his whole life, many lives, keeping this secret." Ironwood replied, "I know. But since Beacon, things have changed." He began heading back to his desk and said, "Without him here to guide us, all I can do is use my best judgment." Behind him, Oscar shifted uncomfortably. As if sensing something, Ironwood stopped, looked back, and asked, "What is it?" Oscar replied, "Actually, Oz isn't completely gone." Qrow added, "Uh, Oscar here is… is the next Ozpin." Ironwood said, "Oz?" Smiling, Ironwood quickly and eagerly approached Oscar, who looked nervous, and said, "I'm so glad you're here. I didn't think you─" Oscar put his hands up and interrupted Ironwood, as the latter crouches to Oscar's level, "Not quite. He's kind of, um, gone... at the moment." Ironwood's smile faded, as he lowered his head and said, "That's not normal." Looking back up, he asked, "How did he─" Ruby answered, "We don't know." Ironwood, Qrow, Oscar, and I looked at Ruby, who continued, "We were in a train crash, and ever since, well… suddenly, Oz wasn't there anymore." I sighed and said, "James, I can only assume that you told Penny and the Ace-Ops about my semblance. Would I be correct?" He nodded and said, "Yes, it would." I gritted my teeth and said, "Well, you should've known that it wasn't your secret to share. I only tell people I trust, unless it's someone who tries to kill me." I felt a hand on each of my shoulders and saw that both Yang and Weiss had placed their hands on my shoulders to calm me. I took a deep breath and said, "But just this once, I'll let it go."

As Ruby, her friends, and I walked down the stairs, the Ace-Ops approached us and Clover said, "I'd like to sincerely apologize for the miscommunication down in Mantle. We didn't intend to─" Suddenly, Elm pushed her way past Clover and Marrow and began frantically shaking my hand, saying, "I feel so bad, honestly! If we had known who you were, we'd be laughing over a hot meal right now and─" She let go of my hand and I said, "Don't worry about it, it's not my first time being arrested for no reason." Weiss said, "I mean, you could have asked us some questions first." Marrow replied, "Questions are for the weak. But we're all on the same team now. Not that I'm happy about it." Marrow crossed his arms and soon realize that his tail was wagging. He reached back and grabbed it, much to Harriet's amusement. Clover said, "We just wanted to say we're sorry. And that we're looking forward to working with you on our next mission. You might be students, but you've been fighting just as hard as we have, if not harder." Harriet added, "Exactly why I'm looking forward to seeing what you kids can do." Vine commented, "Not everything's a competition, Hare." Penny entered the room and slid in front of Ruby, throwing her hands up in excitement, saying, "C'mon! Let me show you around campus." She enthusiastically marched away, with Ruby and friends following her. I turned to the Ace-Ops and said, "And to make things clear, I'm no kid. I'm more an adult than any of you. I've got years of experience, trust me." They all nodded and walked away. Ironwood exited his office just as Qrow and I began to walk away from the stairs in front of the office. Ironwood said, "Qrow. Y/N." We both stopped and turned around, and Ironwood descended the stairs, approached us, and said, "I meant it when I said it was good to see you two again." Qrow replied, "Uh, yeah, you too." I looked at Ironwood and said, "James, would it be at all possible for my two fiancées to sleep in a room with me?" He smiled and said, "Absolutely."

When Weiss and Yang both arrived in the room, Weiss said, "Are you okay, Y/N?" I sighed and said, "I'm fine. It's nothing." Yang looked at me and said, "No, it's something. Something's bothering you, what is it?" I shook my head and replied, "It's nothing that hasn't bothered me before. So don't worry about it." They both sat on the bed next to me and Weiss said, "Please tell us." I sighed and said, "It's just my fear of losing you two and having no choice but to move on. It's one of the parts of being immortal." I laid down and slowly drifted off to sleep.

Yang's POV

I looked at Weiss and said, "I wish we could talk to Julia and get her input on this. I'm sure that she would know how to make him feel better." Weiss nodded and said, "I wish we could too." Then we both heard a voice similar to mine say, "As you wish."

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.