Chapter 24.

Ademide got out of the kitchen, holding a hand napkin as she wiped her wet hands. She checked the wall clock which was above the TV and groaned. She hoped it wasn't who she thinks it was at the door, but she hurried up anyways.

Opening the door, she held back a groan and opened the door wider. A woman in her early fifties, tall, light skinned, pretty face and head wrapped in a scarf, walked in, her heels clicking the wooden floor. Mide's mother in law.

"Good afternoon mum." Mide greeted while closing the door.

"I can't remember giving birth to a barren woman, so stop calling me mom!" Mrs Edris screamed the last part, glaring at Mide. Mide gulped hard and nodded her head.

She couldn't wait for her mother in law to go back to Nigeria, just so she could let her be. After all, she's been married for only two years, but the woman acts like it's been ten years.

She walked to the kitchen and tried to hold the tears that was already making their way down her cheeks. She looked up and wiped the tears away angrily. She would have to keep up with her mother in law for the next three hours.

She finished up the spaghetti she was boiling and poured it into a straining bowl, after getting the water out of it, she poured it into an oven safe round bowl. She spreads it around making it flat, then adding a layer of tomato sauce, a layer of cheese, a layer of half grilled chicken breast then a layer of green peppers, yellow peppers and red peppers. Repeated it two more times and kept it in the oven, without putting on the oven.

She brought out drinks and the snacks she made from the fridge and served them in a tray for her mother in law, knowing she would only get insulted due to her lack of conceiving, she still went ahead to serve her.

As usual, her mother in law looked at her, then the tray in her hands. She hissed out loud like a typical Nigerian woman before turning around.

"She wants to poison me." Mide dropped the try on the table. She knew she just have to leave, before she'll do something that'll make her husband mad at her. As she turned around, she heard words that almost broke her.

"Let me tell you, if that mother of yours isn't concerned about the fact that you haven't given my son a child, then I am. If I knew you'd be a barren fool, I wouldn't have let Olamide marry you. Now, I give you just six month, six months or you'll have a partner. I promise you." Mide whipped her head towards the woman she has always respected due to the title and position she has in her life and marriage. All that respect was thrown out of the window the moment she heard the last part.

"Six months you say? Six months? How many years did it take you before you had your first child? It took you fucking five years, so don't come here and try to destroy my marriage. He's your son and also my husband. We've been married for only two years, let us be, when it's time a baby would come!" Mide raised her voice for the first time, tears streaming down her face.

Mrs Edris looked at Mide, shocked. There was a first time for everything and Mide had just done her first time and a very good job at keeping her shut. She blinked her eyes rapidly, her mouth hung open as she couldn't form words.

The door opened, revealing Olamide. He looked at his mother and the anger he felt towards Mide was out of this world. He dragged her up to their room and banged the door. He had heard all what Mide said. Though he knew she was right, he just didn't want his wife raising her voice at his mom.

"I won't tolerate you raising your voice at my mom, not in this world and in the next world. Don't you dare raise your voice at her again." He said sternly, narrowing his eyes at her. Mide looked at him and was about to turn and leave the room when he dragged her back and hugged her. She cried on his chest slipping to the ground.

"Why me? Why can't I just have a baby? Even if it's just one child, just one!" She sobbed, getting a fistful of his shirt as he held her tight against his chest.

"Baby, calm down. Don't listen to her, just let her be." He tried to calm her down.

"It's not about your mom again, it's about me wanting my own baby!" Mide screamed, hitting her husband's chest. He held her hand and hugged her tighter, making sure she was resting on his body. She finally calmed down, hiccuping. He grabbed a tissue and cleaned her face, helping her off the ground and unto the bed.

She didn't refuse and laid on the bed as she was placed. She didn't want to face her mother in law after all, so this was an escape.

Olamide kissed her head and walked out after she told him about the food she kept in the oven to be baked, which he promised to finish up for her.

Olamide walked downstairs to meet his mom standing and holding her bag, obviously waiting for him to return.

"I'll be going back to Nigeria first thing tomorrow morning." His mom announced. He rubbed his forehead and looked at his mom.

"Don't do this, I've talked to her. She also wants a baby, you just have to be calm and stop pressuring her." He said. His mother looked at him and scoffed.

"Of course, you'll pick your barren wife who insulted me over your mother, i'm not surprised." He wanted to tell his mom to never call his wife barren again, but realised saying that is just like adding fuel to a burning fire, so he bit his tongue.

"Mom, do you think she's happy she hasn't gotten pregnant talk more of having a baby? Of course she's not. You liked her the moment you set your eyes on her, she came to Nigeria just to know her soon to be mother in law. We studied here while you were in Nigeria, not willing to live with dad after he had a second wife, but c'mon, give her a break, let her breath. We're supposed to be supporting her more this time, not pressuring her. You're also a mother of five, you should understand better given you were also in her condition years back." His mother looked at him and he could swear he saw guilt flash in her eyes, but it was gone as soon as it came.

"That doesn't give her the right to talk to me that way." She tried to defend herself. He tried telling her she started it, but he doesn't want to get back into the fire from the pan.

"I've talked to her, she wouldn't dare again." That was enough to calm his mother down as she sat back down.

"She's drained from crying, I'll finish up what she started." He excused himself and went to the kitchen.

He turned on the oven to medium heat to bake. He finished baking and served his mom and himself. They both sat down and began eating, while they ate his mom began a conversation.

"So what do you think it's the cause? I mean do you think she's the problem or you? I know it can't be you, but..." His mom trailed off, hoping its not from her son.

"Nothing is wrong with the both of us. We are both fit to have a baby, it's just not yet time." He replied not taking a break from his food. His mom looked at him and felt he was lying, but she let him be. He kept on eating his food his mind wandering to the secret behind the fact His wife can't get pregnant.

My lovelies!!!😍😍

I missed y'all, who missed me?😂 I'm sure nobody😕

Anyways, I decided to drop this😁😁, clap for me. Maybe I'm back, maybe, I'm not, who knows?😉😉