Chapter 49: Returning History

*Your POV*

I spent the next week trying to recover from the emotional incident of my father's banishment. I was finally able to carry on without my mind being dominated by him. It helped that the summer break had arrived at long last. The aura of relief was overpowering.

It had only just begun, but I already had ideas for the coming weeks. They were all written down in a notebook including dates with Ushijima, group hangouts with the team, and trips to places away from home.

Bashira and I had decided to get lunch today, so we were at a humble eatery in the middle of town. The establishment was fairly popular, but because it was a weekday, it wasn't too busy.

She hugged me when we met up, and we traveled inside to order. Once we sat down, our conversation commenced.

"How are you feeling? Be honest." She inquired, referring to what I was working through.

"It helps to know that it's actually over. I only ever made a half-assed effort when it came to getting rid of him, but I don't think I could've been any clearer this time."

"Right, you can focus on yourself now. Settling your heart will take time, but it's a lot more simple now that you're not actively dealing with it."

I nodded my head in agreement. She was effective at comforting me even in a sensitive moment like this. I appreciated her earnest friendship.

"What about you, anything noteworthy come up lately?" I returned.

"Mmm..." She pursed her lips and let her eyes drift away in thought. "Sorry, my life isn't as eventful as yours."

"Well, I have something we could talk about."

She perked up with intrigue, and I started.

"I've been noticing some sparks between you and Semi. Is it just wishful thinking, or am I correct in sensing something happening behind the scenes?"

It may not have been the truth that I noticed on my own, but this was the easiest way to bring it up without necessarily embarrassing either parties. It provided the opportunity for her to deny it if she wasn't ready to disclose their relationship.

"I'll add observant to your list of attributes." She sighed surrenderingly. "He and I have been... talking."

"Oh? Do tell more." I prompted.

"I got some numbers of the team because of my managerial status, but receiving his was different. It was exciting like I'd just made progress with my crush."

"Like? Does that mean he's not your crush?"

"I suppose you could call him that now, but he wasn't at the time. Before, I just thought he was particularly attractive."

"What's happened since then?"

"We text pretty frequently about whatever: bands, hobbies, goals, etcetera. Nothing has really changed between us, but I think we've grown closer."

"Bashira, that's great! Do you want to date him?"

"Do you think I know him well enough yet? I mean, what if we're too different, and it doesn't work out?" She furrowed her eyebrows, unsure.

"That's what dating is for. It doesn't have to be formal. You can just ask to hang out one on one. Friends do that all the time. Look at us now."

"You're not wrong I'm just nervous. Is there anything you can tell me about him that might help?"

"I think my best piece of knowledge is that he's interested in you. I say you should take the chance."