Chapter 11: Library Chats

*Your POV*

I was in the school library searching for help with biology. This was my first time coming in instead of walking past on my way to classes.

It was a calm place, organized and systematical. The seating arrangements were comfortable, and there were a few plants strewn over shelves next to accommodations such as hand sanitizer and tissues.

The atmosphere was warm, and I felt a little more positive upon entering.

I'd been scanning through titles for a few minutes when someone drew near me. I figured it was just another student going about their day, so I paid no attention until they addressed me.

"Y/n, looking for a book I see?"

It was Uchida. I acted as I would to any other acquaintance.

"Oh, yeah, I wanted some extra information for biology."

"We have that class together. You should have just asked me, silly!"

She was exercising her fake smile.

"I'm actually looking for things that haven't been taught in class. I just wanted an edge for the test, you know?"

"Of course, it seems getting ahead is important to you." She said with a hint of accusation in her tone.

"What do you mean?" I asked, bringing the front of my eyebrows slightly together.

"I just meant biology doesn't appear to be the only thing you want extra credit in." She insinuated.

"I'm afraid I'm unsure what you're talking about. If there's something you're trying to say, I'd prefer you be open about it."

I didn't like beating around the bush. Communication is extremely important to me, and I'm passionate in my opinion that people should just be direct especially when it's painfully obvious that they know what they want to get across.

"You and Ushijima of course! That portrait was really something. You must have bonded during all that time. Am I right?"

I wished she would just tell me she didn't like me and get it over with. Her petty game of jabs was distasteful, but I knew I had to remain calm. If I let my guard down, I'd only be giving her more material to work with.

"A little, but it wasn't all that interesting. Nothing you'd care about."

"Well, I've known him for a long time now, and I can tell you that you won't get much out of him."

I decided to give her something to chew on.

"Yeah, he doesn't talk much, but he makes up for it with all of the smiling. I'm sure you know."

She blinked, taken aback.

"Smiling?" She inquired, dropping the act for a moment.

"Yeah," I nodded, "He's got this great wide grin. I'm surprised you haven't seen it since he does it so often."

I savored her bitter expression.

"Enjoy it while you can." She told me sharply before hastily walking away.

"What a baby." I chuckled quietly.

Semi emerged from behind and tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hi." I greeted him warmly.

"Hey, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard some of your conversation with Uchida..." He said worriedly.

"Oh, that? It was nothing."

"Is everything okay between you two? It seemed a little tense. In fact, it's seemed tense since you guys met."

I didn't care to lie because I had nothing to hide.

"You're right, but I don't want it to be. She seems to be upset about me hanging around specifically with Ushijima. I guess she likes him or something."

"Uh, yeah, she's not very hard to read. I've noticed too, but I don't want you to have to deal with that."

"Don't worry about it. I can handle myself well, and she doesn't prove a threat anyway."

"Okay, but let me know if her bugging you escalates, alright?"

"Will do. I've got what I need, so I'll see you later."

"See you."

*Time skip to after school*

I was at a convenience store picking up some milk when a familiar voice called my name.

"Kawanishi? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm getting snacks. The team is going to Ushijima's house to hangout. You could come if you wanted to." He stated, raising his eyebrows, awaiting a response.

"I don't mind, but the guys might. They probably just want themselves there, and that's okay." I reassured him.

"I think they would want you there. We all like having you around." He replied, kindly smiling.

I didn't have time to argue before he told me he'd text them.

"Don't worry, I'll make it seem like I haven't already asked you." He mentioned.

I exhaled in amusement at his sneaky behavior.

Within the thirty seconds it took me to pay, he informed me, "They said, 'She should totally come!!!' with three exclamation marks."

"There's my answer then. I'll go home first to put this milk back and change. Can you send me the address?"

"I could, but if you live close by, I could just drive you." He offered.

"Aww, that's really sweet of you. I'll take you up on that."

We left the store, and he drove me back to my house where he said he'd wait for me in the car.

I walked inside and placed the carton in the fridge before jogging to my room to quickly find an outfit.

I chose a pair of puffy black sweatpants and a cropped tank top. To spice it up, I added some shiny jewelry.

The day had worn my appearance, so I touched up my hair and makeup in the mirror before grabbing my things, putting some sneakers on, and making my way back to Kawanishi.

"Wow, you clean up nicely."

I cocked an eyebrow and faced my palms up while shrugging as if to say, "It's not that great."

He started the engine again and pulled out of the driveway.

"Onward!" He exclaimed.

———————————————————————
All follows, votes, and comments are appreciated<3