tōma

The heart of the city

     Rhaella was exhausted, Saera and Daenora had spent the whole day trying to teach Rhaella how to fight, but they managed to get nowhere

     Rhaella was exhausted, Saera and Daenora had spent the whole day trying to teach Rhaella how to fight, but they managed to get nowhere. The princess was bruised and cut but still, she could barely hold a sword properly, and when the sun started to set Daenora decided to call it a day. While Rhaella bathed in the river, the other three prepared their supper and set the table.

     The purple eyed girl never felt more tired and sore, her body was littered with bruises , her ankles and forearms were black with them, and she wanted nothing more than lay on her furs and rest.

     After her long bath Rhaella changed into her nightgown, which was just an old dirty white dress that had its sleeves removed and was cut right on the knees. The girl decided to skip supper and try to go to sleep, so when she arrived back at the courtyard she went straight to her makeshift bed and laid down.

     For the first time in a long time Rhaella fell asleep rather quickly, but her sleep was not pleasant, she had seen Ser Barristan drowning in a pool of his own blood, and she knew that could only mean one thing. So when someone shook her awake, she was glad.

     "Be quiet," Gaemon whispered, placing his hand over her mouth. Rhaella looked around confused, she noticed Saera was sleeping on her other side. "Come, I told you we would explore," as soon as the boy said that Rhaella's expression changed, she was waiting for this since she met them.

     Rhaella got up quickly and put her boots on and walked towards Gaemon, who was waiting for her by the hidden entrance of the courtyard. Right outside of the entrance there were two lit torches waiting for them and a cloth bag,  "I grabbed some food and three skins of water for us," Gaemon said bending down to grab the bag, and handing one of the torches to Rhaella.

     The two friends started walking towards the ruins, it was dark so it was hard to see but the sight impressed both of them, they walked towards the left side of the city, farther from the mines, where Rhaella had not been yet. The princess now knew why people called the ruins haunted, the full moon on the blood red sky shining on the ruins.

     "I wish we could see it during the day," Rhaella spoke softly, she was afraid of speaking any louder and waking up something within the ruins. She could feel they were approaching the heart of the city.

     "Can you imagine what it looked like?" Gaemon ignored her, looking up to the skies, as if looking at the tall buildings that once stood there. "The buildings, the market, the food, the books," even in the dark Rhaella could see the shine in his eyes when he talked about the dead city.

      The princess had seen part of the ruins, and had been living by them for weeks, but they never ceased to amaze her, even burned and in ruins, the towers and the buildings were tall and magnificent, Rhaella was sure that if she died now, she would die happily.