[43:] Dinner Disaster

Anna Wilhelm = Hillary

Maddie's P.O.V.

“Okay,” Jen breathed. “Jason, we'll talk first, then it will be your turn to speak, Maddie.”

Her eyes averted towards my twin. “Since when have you had a girlfriend? Who is she? What is her name?”

“So many questions,” Jason muttered. “She's just this girl I met at school, it's no big deal.”

“No big deal?” she emphasized. “Of course it is! You are growing up.”

“Her name is Hillary, and---”

Josh tried not to laugh. Instead he muttered, “Oh shit!”

It seems like Josh is asking for the death glare today.

“Wait---” said Jen, who was trying to process all of this. “Is this the same Hillary that---”

I nodded. “That's what I'm saying!”

Before a fight arises, Josh said quickly, “Who wants dessert? I want dessert. Let me take your plates.”

He was out in thirty seconds. Tops.

“Do you not know how bad she is?” Jen exclaimed. “My good-ness!”

“She's really nice, once you get to know her,” Jason assured everyone. “She knows her, and they're friends now. Isn't that right, Maddie?”

I shrugged. Then he muttered, “You are supposed to be on my side!”

“Then you should of thought of that before you snitched on me.”

“So the same girl that bullied you,” said Jen, and she pointed to me. “Is the same girl you're”---she then pointed to my brother---“currently dating?” She pressed her fingers to her temples, then gave them a quick massage.

“It'll take a moment to let that all sink in,” said Jen. “Jason, could you step out for a minute?”

Glad to be excused, he slipped away silently.

“Panic attacks?” Jen said softly. “How can you be so sure?”

“My friend, his mom---she's a doctor, or a nurse or something, and she said so herself.” I'm nervous to speak to her. I never wanted to reveal any of this to her, it was supposed to be a secret. “I---I never told you because, I never wanted you to worry---”

She didn't yell or scream at me like I had expected her to. She didn't say I lied to her, nor did she slap me in the face like she probably wanted to. Instead, I was given a hug. And in enters Josh.

“I brought you all some pie,” he said awkwardly. “Never mind, I'll come back later.” He left as quickly as he came in.

Jen's eyes were glossy. “How long has this happened? How long has my baby girl had to suffer?”

I told her. Everything this time. I didn't leave out anything.

“Why is it the only time you ever talk to me is when I force you to?” Her face was full of concern. “Remember, I told you, long ago, that you can talk to me anytime. I don't care if I'm busy or not. I will always find time for you. . .and your brother. Let's not forget about him.”

I nodded.

“As your mother, I have to---”

“No. That's the whole reason I didn't tell you. Because I knew that you'd turn me in. I don't want to go to the doctors.”