[48:] Second Chances

Song of the chapter: Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do

Maddie's P.O.V.

It took weeks for Jen to finally calm down about the news. I mean, she never gotten over it; I don't think any mother would forget a miscarriage, but she's at---or at least I think she's at---the last stage: acceptance.

She isn't crying at all times of the day like she used to. She's eating more and I'm glad. I was getting worried about her. Of course, she's still upset, but now, she looks forward to the future.

Jen spent a night at her parents house and they showered her with love. From what I heard, Karen told her, “It'll be all right, we will help you get through this,” among other things.

I don't know if they are going to try again or not . . . That's up to them.

While my parents did their own thing, I was doing another.

I guess one might say that I've become a “good girl gone bad,” for my recent behavior can prove that.

Instead of doing homework, I'd hang out with my new friend, Logan.

Since he escaped, he told me that he is staying with a friend. His parents don't even know he's back.

But in order for me to see him, I had to lie to my parents and told them I had to do this “project.”

I was ready to leave again to “my friend, Crystal's house,” to finish the mysterious and very fake project.

Josh is too smart and never really seemed entirely convinced.

He stopped me at the door.

“Excuse me,” I said politely. “Crystal is waiting for me, so I must go.”

He crossed his arms. Usually when that happens, he's upset. “The same project you've been working on for weeks now?”

“Yep, that's the one.”

“When are you going to be done with that? I doesn't take that long to build a volcano.”

Yeah, I know, constructing a volcano for a science fair is the most cliché thing ever, but I don't work very well under pressure and that was the first thing I came up with.

“It takes time, Josh. Surely you wouldn't understand. We are trying to make the best volcano in history!”

“All right, then,” said Josh, still unconvinced. “When you two are finished. Show us.”

I swallowed hard. “But they need to grade it first.”

“When it's done graded, you bring it here and show us. I want to see it with my own eyes.”

But how can I show something that doesn't exist?

“Okay.”

Jen came by. “Oh, Maddie! Did you decide to stay for dinner?”

“No, she's leaving. Again,” said Josh unhappily.

Jen's face fell. “Oh, okay. I'll leave your food in the microwave then.”

“Thank you!” I called out.

“Be back by nine.”

“Yes, sir!” I saluted him, then left.

●════════●♥●════════● 

Logan was at our usual meeting spot; in front of the neighborhood complex.

He was leaning against the white car door with a big smile on his face.

The car is a white Camaro, but not a new, nice looking one. This one was old. 1983, I believe is the year it came out.

The car isn't Logan's, it belongs to the good friend he's staying with.

I ran towards him because the distance between us was too far apart.

“I missed you,” he whispered into my ear.

I grinned widely, like an idiot and said, “I missed you too.”

Like a gentleman, the door was opened for me, then he rushed to the other side.

During the drive, I told him, “Can you do me a favor?”

While looking straight at the road, he answered, “Depends. What is it?”

“Well . . . In order to see you, I had to lie to my parents . . .” I began. “I didn't know what to tell them, so I said I had a science project to do.”

“Okay, that's not so bad.”

“I need a working volcano no later than next week.”

At the red light, he finally looked at me. “Maddie!”

“I don't work well under pressure!”

“Couldn't you have thought of something easier?”

“I'm sorry! I didn't know what else to say!” Then I lowered my voice. “I just wanted to see you . . .”

Due to his smile, I got to see his dimples.

He sighed. “Okay, I'll help you. You are lucky I made one of those when I was a kid.

“Thank you,” I said, and held on to his right hand with my left. Our fingers were laced together.

We rode the rest of the way in a comfortable silence.

●════════●♥●════════● 

Me and Logan are only two years apart. I'm fifteen, he's seventeen. That's not so bad, right? It's like a freshman dating a junior. Totally fine.

And the thing is, I've come to realize that he isn't a bad guy, he just made a bad decision. I believe that he deserves a second chance.

The apartment was a little bit more tidy than the last time I came.

At least the laundry was done. Last time, there was a pile of dirty laundry that needed to be washed.

Two bedrooms; two bathrooms.

Logan's friend wasn't home, so that's why I came here.

“I'll start making the volcano thing for you, just give me some time,” he offered.

“You're the best!”

Happily, he said, “I know.”

I wasn't too bad of a girl. Yeah, I may have lied to my parents about where I was going, but it wasn't like I was doing drugs or having sex or anything.

The two of us hung out. And at some moments, we were acting a little too friendly around each other. The exchange of glances, a bit of flirting here and there, and no mention of Crystal. At all.

We watched TV together, did simple things together, not much.

But once we were sick of the glances that had meaning to them, a move was made.

It happened so suddenly, yet I welcomed it. It was has if gravity were pulling us together. We were like magnets.

We both leaned in and off went his shirt.

Then, we were so close to each other that our noses were touching.

^~^
Okay, so I'm letting YOU decide what happens next.

Should there be a ....

Kiss?*

OR

No kiss?*

*You may vote more than once (if you absolutely must).