[66:] Big Fight

Maddie

I couldn't sleep.

But not because of the excitement I had for my interview, it was Jen and Josh.

And they were fighting.

“No, this is all your fault! How many times do I have to tell you?”

I shoved some pillows deeper into my ears, but it was no use. I still could hear their yells, and moments later, an ear-piercing cry.

“Now look what you did!” Josh said. “Couldn't you be quiet for one damn second?”

Neither Jason or I could deal with their bickering at two in the morning. I rubbed my eyes, ripped the blankets off me, and trudged towards their bedroom, where their fighting only intensified.

Jason beat me to it, scooping Ryan out of his crib and walked to the hallway, where I was.

Ryan was wailing in his arms.

“What were they arguing about?” I asked, curious.

“I don't even know at this point,” he said, trying to calm the baby down.

Then they began to throw shade at each other, pointing out each other's flaws.

I covered the baby's ears. “Let's go downstairs,” I suggested. “Get him away from all of this.”

Jason's attempts to sooth the baby had failed. “Maybe he's hungry?”

I sighed. “I'll go upstairs, I'll be right back.”

I stomped up the stairs and opened their door. Then I raised my voice: “Okay, look. I don't know what you two are arguing about, and at this moment, I don't care. But you two need to stop and be civilized adults.” Ryan's cries only became louder. “If you two would stop fighting, then you would realize that your son is crying, and me and Jason are being more like parents then you are right now.”

They both looked sad.

“I have an interview in the morning that I will not miss because you two can't be civilized.” I pointed a finger at the door. “Somebody please go calm that baby down.”

Jen rushed out, and that was that.

I crossed my arms. “What was that all about?”

“It was nothing, it was stupid.”

“Got that right,” I agreed. “You know what you need to do.” I pointed my chin to the door.

Somehow, he understood.

* * *

I never imagined that at 3:14 in the morning, having a family intervention.

This family is anything but normal.

After Ryan was fed and had a diaper changed, he remained quiet. Sleepy, almost.

We all lowered our voices to a whisper.

“I'm going to bed,” I told them, and shot Jason a look so he'd come with me.

* * *

Josh

You want me to hold him?” I asked.

“You've done enough,” she spat.

I let out an exasperated sigh.

We both looked in separate directions. This isn't our first fight. It's happened before, but usually over little things, like not washing the dishes or something of that nature. A few big fights, though, but they were resolved.

I could understand why she's upset. She thinks I could somehow forget our anniversary, but I didn't. I could never forget.

“Jen, please--” I started.

“I don't want to hear it,” she snapped. Her face crumbled, then I saw the tears.

“We'll talk in the morning.” She handed me the baby and went to our room.

But then I saw it.

She left her wedding ring on the table.

* * *

Stay tuned!