[95:] Labor

Austin

I drove to the hospital, faster than I've ever gone before. I went way over the speed limit, and honked at cars that wouldn't move fast enough.

 I went way over the speed limit, and honked at cars that wouldn't move fast enough

I only read one book about pregnancy, and it didn't prepare me for any of this.

I called her mother, and she said she would meet us there shortly.

Maddie's face twisted with pain and she sat back in the passenger seat. I told her to breathe, because it was the only thing I could think of to say.

It was hard to watch. There wasn't much I could do, just support her. I got a glance of Maddie when I reached stoplights. She was in severe pain, and I would never, ever be able to understand it.

"We're almost there, I promise."

She didn't respond, she just focused on her breathing.

* * *

Maddie was able to get checked in rather quickly.

She was given a room, and I stayed with her.

She wasn't fully dilated yet, so she had a long day ahead of her.

"Can I record this?"

She seemed surprised at the question, so I added, "I wanted to make a video diary type thing. You know, so you could watch it later."

Despite the immense amount of pain she was in, she smiled. "Now I know where you get it from—your mother." I knew this wasn't an insult. "Yeah, sure."

I pointed my phone to her

I pointed my phone to her. "How are you feeling?" I asked. I had an idea, but I wanted to talk to her.

She had changed into a hospital gown earlier and laid on her bed. "Honestly?" She rested her hands on her abdomen. "I'm so scared."

I didn't say anything.

"What if I can't handle it?" She took a moment to breathe in deeply. "And after she's born, what if she doesn't like me?"