[51:] Wanted

Maddie's P.O.V.

She left.

Jen, that is.

A few days after she told us she was leaving, she flew to Massachusetts.

I miss her already, but that's her job: to act, and that involves a lot of traveling.

So we're doing the same routine again. She leaves, I still continue to go to school, and we both miss each other like crazy.

Sometimes we text, but since she's always busy, she might reply back ten hours later. Literally.

But I don't get too upset. I try really hard to understand, but I can't. Working at least twelve hours a day must be hard as it is, and being pregnant on top of that makes things even harder.

When she shared the news the second time, I was more excited and a lot less shocked. I didn't drop or spill anything, I didn't scream, though I did squeal a bit. Really all I did was plaster a very genuine smile on my face and told her I was happy for her. For them, they both looked so happy together, it made my heart melt.

I'm at lunch now, talking to my old friend again. More because his girl-friend isn't here today.

"It's been too long since we've talked, Julian," I tell him. "You're always with your new friend . . . It seems like you forgot about me."

"You don't sit with us anymore!" That much is true. I was tired of seeing them together, so I usually sit alone. "You know you could, if you wanted to. There's enough space for three."

"Yeah, but . . ." I couldn't think of what to say to him. High school has changed the only two friends I had. "Just, never mind."

"You're my friend," he said. That last word makes me sick. We used to be best friends . . . but it seems like we are drifting apart, and there is nothing I can do about it.

"I know, I know." I miss our goofy relationship. I miss the laughs we shared and the moments we had together. I miss all of that.

I took a few bites of my sandwich. "How has high school treated you? I can tell that you've changed."

"Ninth grade was all right, I guess. It's just that no one really likes the newcomers."

"Hey!" I pretend to sound offended.

"Don't worry, you're an exception. Besides, you'll be in tenth grade next year." He smiled and I returned it.

"Do you know how to drive, yet?" I wonder aloud.

He showed me his car keys. "Want to go for a ride?"

I didn't want to ditch school, my grades are average enough, I don't want them to drop anymore. But I've only ditched twice, once more can't hurt, can it?

"Are you serious?"

He smiled again and shook his keys. "What do you say?"

I say, "Okay."

●════════●♥●════════●

I think after this, I won't leave school without notice anymore. I am trying to behave more.

But for now, I think I'll enjoy this. I think it's okay to be "bad" at least once in a while.

"You do this often?" I ask him. "You know, ditching school?"

"This is my first time, actually," he replies honestly. "Have you done this before?"

"We ditched class in middle school, how have you forgotten already?"

"We skipped one class, and were still in school. This . . . this is different, Maddie. We are leaving campus."

I shrugged and went along with it. "Right . . . So, where are we going, exactly?"

"I don't know, where do you want to go?" he asked. "Oh . . . and you never answered my question for earlier. Have you ever ditched . . . since, you know, when we did that?"

"Actually, I have." I had a feeling of nostalgia when I said that.

He looked surprised. "How did that turn out for you?"

"It turned out all right . . . " I am still trying to figure out where we'll go. "We could just . . . drive around, talk, hang out like we used to."

He seemed satisfied with my answer.

●════════●♥●════════●

The car was parked, and the radio was on . . . just at a low volume.

"I missed us hanging out together." He admits and I smiled, but didn't look at him in the eyes.

"We could do this more often . . ." I offer. "But, not the leaving school part. I meant, like, hanging out again. If . . . you want to." I silently cursed myself for being so tongue-tied.

He laughed a little. "I'd like that."

"Would your girlfriend approve?" I tease. "She seems nice and all . . ."

"She isn't my girlfriend anymore, Maddie. We broke up." He didn't sound sad about it. But then again, he's a boy . . . They act differently when it comes to break-ups.

A small silence reached among us. "Oh . . . I'm sorry, then."

"Don't be."

I had a few dollars in my wallet and since we were parked at a gas station, I said I would go inside and buy something to drink. Probably a soda or something.

". . . And get me one too!" He asked right before I shut the door.

The bell chimes as I open the door. I hear one of the cashiers greet me, but I ignore them.

I walked to straight to the coolers and decided which drink to get and settled on Coca-Cola.

I went to pay for them and noticed a sign.

Honestly, I didn't think they still made these kinds of signs, but apparently I was wrong.

I had to do a double-take to make sure I was seeing things correctly.

After I was given my change, I stared at it again.

It was a WANTED sign, and Logan's name and face was on it.