[61:] Surprise!

Maddie's P.O.V.

The way labor is portrayed on TV and how it actually is are two different things.

I've learned that you should never rely on everything you see on TV, or the internet.

I somewhat expected her to start screaming uncontrollably due to the immense amount of pain she was in. I was expecting her to cause a scene in front of everyone.

But no, she didn't do any of those things. Sure, she was in a lot of pain, but I could see it in her eyes, there was no need to yell out.

My brother and I were in the waiting room, and my leg kept bouncing faster and faster.

This chair was beginning to feel uncomfortable.

I nudged my brother's arm. "Do you think, do you think she'll be okay?"

He looked at me through sleepy eyes, for we had been sitting here for hours. "Honestly, yes."

He said it without hesitation, almost like he knew. I wanted to take his word for it, so I did.

***

"Maddie, Maddie, wake up!"

I hadn't realized I had dozed off in my chair, and at this point, I was beyond uncomfortable.

The whole family was here, both families actually.

Karen smiled and hugged me. She was holding a bunch of pink balloons, some of them even read: "It's a girl!"

"How long have you two been here?" she asked.

"What time is it?"

"Almost four in the morning," she replied.

"Um, maybe six or seven hours now?" I was too tired to think.

"Actually eight, almost nine," my brother corrected me.

"You two can stay with us---"

"No!" I said a little too loudly. "I mean, no, I want to stay here. I don't mind waiting a little longer."

Karen kneeled down to be at my level. "Do you know how long labor lasts?"

I shook my head.

"Every woman is different, but it could last many more hours, even days." She stood up.

"Days?" I couldn't stay here for days, that was insane!

"Yes, days."

"Can we stay a little longer?" I nearly begged. Any moment a nurse could come out and tell us everything was fine, that it was a safe delivery and that everything is okay.

"You need to eat."

My legs were a little wobbly but I was able to stand, as well as my brother. I couldn't refuse food, I was hungry as it is.

***

I ate slowly, and listened to small talk as I chewed through my food.

It was almost five in the morning, and we would've been here pretty much all night. I couldn't just leave, I wanted to be there for my mother.

I'm sure she would've done the same for me.

After our meal, I went back to sit in those now uncomfortable chairs, and talked with both families. The usual stuff: "How are you?" "Good and you?" "Well---"

This went on for awhile longer, and a tired looking Josh stepped out and my face lit up.

He smiled widely and beckoned for all of us to come over. "I'm not sure you all will fit---"

We've been waiting far too long. We'll make ourselves fit.

Some stayed behind, but I sure wasn't.
My pulse increased, and I couldn't wait to see my new sister.

The door was opened and Jen was lying on a bed, cradling a small baby close to her chest. As exhausted as she looked, she never stopped smiling.

"Can I see her?" I asked.

Josh let out a tiny laugh. "Well, you see, what had happened was---"

The color drained from my face.

"No, nothing bad. Just, there was a... misreading."

It seemed like I was the only one who asked questions. "What do you mean, 'misreading'?"

Jen chimed in. "The doctors thought we were having a girl, but turns out we're not."

My brother and I walked closer and I noticed the newborn was wearing a light blue hat and was swaddled with a white blanket.

The realization finally came: she didn't have a girl, but a boy.