[8:] High School

Maddie's P.O.V.

My alarm clock goes off and I am startled awake.

I turn it off, not wanting to hear the annoying beeps any longer.

The sun was beginning to show up along the horizon, the sky wasn't quite blue yet.

I feel tired and groggy this morning, of all mornings. I guess a movie marathon right before the first day of school wasn't a good idea.

I didn't look in the mirror as I undress and step into the shower. A hot shower is just what I needed. The water sunk into my pores, instantly jolting me awake.

My senses intact, I quickly scrub my hair and body, along with brushing my teeth. Yes, I enjoy brushing my teeth in the shower, is that so wrong?

I stood in front of my closet, a purple towel wrapped around my body as I scan my potential outfit choices.

First day of high school, I had to make a first good impression, or else this year would be hell. And I wanted to forget about my middle school experiences.

It's towards the end of August, it can't be too chilly outside yet, right?

Jeans and a graphic tee will do.

I had set up my sky-blue backpack just a few days earlier. With the basic necessities: pencils, paper, folders, etc.

I'll have to admit, I was nervous.

Nervous about everything. Seeing familiar faces, if there were any. Meeting new people, learning a new schedule. Finding my way around a school I've only seen once before, and that was for orientation.

Due to my extreme anxiety, I vaguely remember what the campus looked like. Oh, well. Hopefully someone can help me. Fingers crossed.

I didn't stuff myself with breakfast like I'd planned. My stomach was filled with butterflies. But I had to eat, I told myself that there is no excuse not to eat. I ate some toast with butter and was ready to go.

This year, a new bus stop was added to our neighborhood complex. So, instead of taking a car to school, I'd have to take the bus.

The feeling was exciting, yet nerve-wracking.

Jen wished me luck on the first day, and I was praying that it would turn out fine.

The walk to the bus stop was seven minutes. I kept track.

Other kids were staring, but most of them were on their phones, doing God knows what.

I don't think this was the first stop, so we all had to wait until the bus decided to show up.

Five minutes later, the yellow bus pulled in, and from what I could see, it was filled with students.

Oh, boy.

The bus halted to a stop, the doors opened and everyone rushed to get inside.

What's the hurry? We're all going to the same place!

Unfortunately, due to pushing and shoving, I was the last one on and the female bus driver was looking at me impatiently as I was trying to find an available seat.

And let me tell you, there was none.

I received dirty looks from some kids, and this one kid used her bookbag to save a spot that no one was going to fill.

I walked further down the aisle, listening to mindless chatter on either side.

“You can sit here, if you want,” a male voice on my right had said.