[68:] Homecoming

Maddie

“What are your plans after college?” My new friend, Leah, asked as she took a bite of her sandwich.

Me, Crystal, and Leah sat at a table in the school cafeteria, discussing our future plans after high school, college, and so on.

Crystal admitted that she was unsure of what she wanted to do career wise. Her hair is midnight blue now, and she'll be eighteen before I am.

I took a sip of water and really thought about it. “I'd want to be a social worker,” I said. The two of them were well aware of my situation and life story, and they're like sisters to me. “You know, so I could help other kids find homes. Just like me and Jason did.”

Leah smiled. “Aww, that's so sweet! I want to become a nurse, that way I could help people.” For as long as I've known her, she's always been a sweetheart.

Before we could continue, the bell rang, indicating that we had to go back to class, and everyone tried to cram themselves through the doors.

“I'm not gonna miss this.” Crystal looked at the hectic crowd. “I'm ready for freedom!”

As we were pushed and shoved, we saw a huge sign that read: HOMECOMING, BUY YOUR TICKETS TODAY!

There were giant posters and banners posted all over the school. In the hallways, girls would chatter about what dress they'd wear, or freak out because they haven't found one yet.

“Are you guys planning on going to homecoming?” Crystal asked as we finally passed through the cafeteria doors.

“Maybe,” I told them. “I don't know yet. I might have to work that day.”

“You only get one homecoming dance, Maddie,” Leah reminded me.

“I have no one to go with,” I muttered.

“Oh no,” Crystal started. “Don't use that excuse with me. You can go with us!”

Leah slung an arm on each of our shoulders. “See? It won't be so bad after all.”

* * *

The next day was chaotic.

I overslept and missed my hair appointment, therefore I'd be going to the dance without a nice hairstyle. I was upset at first, then got over it.

“Are you ready for your big day?” Jen asked. She seemed more excited about this than I was.

I nodded, and proceeded to put on my gown. A few weeks prior, Jen and I went to the mall (she'd worn a pink wig and sunglasses to cover herself up from the paparazzi, who still annoy us to this day), and searched for the perfect gown. I had tried on various colors and styles, eventually choosing a long, glittery, rose gold one that accentuated my curves. I loved it.

She was teary eyed. “You look beautiful.”

I showed a small smile. “Thank you,” and then I twirled.

I would have done my own makeup for the special night, but Jen insisted on bringing her special makeup artist friend, Jillian Dempsey, who is known to transform celebrities into something glamorous.

Jen had me sit on a stool in the kitchen, and Jillian brought out several bags with makeup supplies, including foundation, concealer, eye shadow, among other things.

“Close your eyes for me, sweetie,” she directed. I did as I was told.

Jason planned on going to the dance, also. He is much more low maintenance. A black tuxedo was rented for the evening, and he even bought his own black tie and shoes to match. Josh let him borrow one of his “good” designer watches, and he placed it carefully on his wrist.