Chapter 71 - Emerald Delivery

"Tails, are you absolutely positive that one Emerald's gonna do the trick?" wondered Knuckles as the Chaos Emeralds still laid comfortably in his arms.

"I'm one hundred percent positive." assured the fox with a head nod accompanied by a small grin. "Sure, it would've been nice to get all of them up and running again, but in order to accomplish our main objective, one Emerald should be adequate enough."

"All of this aimless wandering has bored me half to death!" intruded Omega, who was becoming impatient with the lack of combat he was promised. "I was promised with a battle for the ages! I am not a robot who will accept being lied to!"

Everyone but Omega gave an exhausted groan. Walking endlessly was enough of a chore on its own, but constantly being subject to a robots insane whining made circumstances all the more excruciating. They were on the edge of snapping into a furious rage. Knuckles especially, as he is the one whose most prone to anger out of all of them. The enraged echidna stood there growling as Omega continued to drone on monotonously, trying desperately to keep himself content to prevent some sort of violent retaliation.

"I am irked! If a suitable opponent does not challenge me within the next few moments, then I shall make you four my next targets! I am pent up! I shall not repress my--"

"Shut the fuck up!" exclaimed Knuckles exclaimed as he gave Omega a solid punch to the side of his head.

The robot immediately collapsed onto the ground and appeared to be in an unconscious state. The four hovered over him and all wondered what would come of this event.

"Oh no, you didn't destroy Mr. Omega, did you?" worried Cream.

"O-of course not!" stammered Knuckles as he anxiously stroked his back quills. "I mean, I didn't punch him that hard! Did I?"

"Yeah, that punch definitely wasn't powerful enough to completely neutralize him." said Tails, observing the unfortunate robot. "I do have a possible theory though. I think you could've reverted him back to his normal form."

Omega quickly picked his head off the ground and gave a look around his surroundings. Everybody else jumped back and studied his movements carefully.

"Woooaaaaooooowwww!" Omega spun his head around quickly and carelessly, all while screaming childishly.

"Whelp, just when I thought he couldn't get any more aggravating." groaned Tails.

"Want me to knock some sense into him again?" Knuckles asked as he clamped his fists together with an eager smirk.

"No! You'll only make it worse!" shouted Cream.

"Looks as if we'll have to just...put up with him like this until I can actually fix him myself."

Omega then jumped to his feet and faced his four friends suspiciously.

"Do you guys want a ride?" he asked as the thrusters attatched his back started to burn up.

The four looked around anxiously to try and evade the crazed machine, but their efforts were futile as Omega zipped through the broken city with the small group in his arms. At first, they tried their hardest to pry themselves from his tight grip but they soon realized that Omega was technically helping them right now. They were able to reach Metropolis at a much shorter time thanks to Omega.
But after some time, Omegas thrusters ran out of gas and their progress came to a screeching halt.

"Whoopsie!" said Omega before he and the others collapsed onto the ground below.

"Whelp, at least we're a little closer to Metropolis now." grunted Knuckles as he dusted himself off.