Chapter 43 - A Long Awaited Reunion

Tails and Gadget continued to wander aimlessly throughout a surprisingly barren forest. They were both under the impression that some of Eggmans goons would be out looking for survivors, but I guess they were lucky, or perhaps those goona weren't looking in the right places. But regardless, they had an equally problematic issue to deal with: a dangerous lack of nutrition. Having to walk under the blazing hot sun along with a whole array of different bugs biting them only made the situation more excruciating.

"This...sucks...ass." groaned Tails. "God, we'd better find some shelter soon or else I'm gonna go insane."

"Ah, don't worry Tails, we'll find something or someone soon enough..." panted Gadget who was beginning to feel the effects of heat exhaustion. "In this...big...hot...forest."

Gadget slowly lagged behind Tails and eventually fell to his knees due to the extreme heat that cooked him and Tails as if they were fish on a skillet. The temperature was roughly around 90 degrees fahrenheit, but due to the humidity, which was at around 85%, it felt almost twice as hot. Not to mention the drowsy feeling of fatigue that humid weather delivers oh so much.

"Gadget!" exclaimed Tails as he ran to help Gadget to his feet.

"It's like record breaking heat out here today." said Gadget as the heat began making him feel delirious. "I need some goddamn water or something."

"As do I, Gadget." agreed Tails. "But we gotta keep moving, so let's get going. Don't worry Gadget, we ain't gonna be parched for much longer, I promise."

"Thanks, Tails." said Gadget with a friendly smile.

"No problem bro." replied Tails. "Anyway...I haven't really gotten the chance to know you. And seeing that we're alone, I thought we could have a friendly little chat while we look for some help."

"Well...long story short, I was one of the top soldiers over at G.U.N. Zero was too. I don't know if you heard Infinite during our encounter with him, but we were close friends before he turned into that...thing. We were inseparable, him and I, we were closer to each other than we were to any of our family members. I even thought, for a split second before he became Infinite, that we could live the lives we've always wanted together...as a couple. But it seems as if that's not gonna be a reality, considering the circumstances and all."

"Aw...you were in love with him?" awed Tails.

"Yes." responded Gadget, trying to keep his composure. "I...loved him. I just hope he loves me back, y'know? But like I said, he's been taken. The man I oncr knew's never coming back."

"Not true, Gadget." responded Tails. "I'm sure I can figure out a way to disable the effects of the Phantom Ruby and bring your old buddy back. There's just gotta be a way."

"Aw, you'll do that for me?" asked Gadget, holding back his tears. "Thanks, man." He then dived straight at Tails and gave him a big, warm hug.

"Hehe, oh alright." giggled Tails. "Listen Gadget, if there's a will, there's a way. We'll bring your friend back...one way or another. By the way, what was his name again?"

"His name's Zero." replied Gadget. "And thanks again, Tails. I actually can't thank you enough for doing this. It means just so much to me."

"Hey, helping people out is one of my biggest hobbies." chuckled Tails. "Speaking of friends, I also hope we find Sonic out here. I highly doubt it, but I'll always stay optimistic."

Just then, a huge blue blur dashed across the forest right in front of Tails. A wave of excitement immediately shot through Tails, he knew exactly what had just passed him by. Sonic too noticed how he ran straight past his long time friend and instantly ran back to where Tails stood, frozen with overwhelming joy. He literally could not believe that he finally found Sonic after all this time, it just warmed his soul. Tails then broke out of his paralyzed state and started charging towards Sonic as he too was doing the exact same thing. Tails then tackles Sonic, giving him a hug twice as big as the one he had just given Gadget.