Chapter 38 - Rebels of Apostos

Rough and Tumble were simply lounging around in what they humorously called their "throne room", being irresponsible and turning it into a pig sty within a matter of mere minutes. But what else could you expect from two dim-witted skunks? But anyway, they were more than delighted to finally have a home of their own where they could live in luxury, without a care in the world, or so they thought.

"Y'know, even though Eggman is still a total chump, I gotta thank him for giving us this sweet crib!" said Tumble.

"Yep, we barely had to do a thing in this war yet we still get all the rewards. It was about time we started getting lucky." responded Rough.

"True that!" shouted Tumble abruptly. "The world has beaten down on us for so long and now it's our turn to take over for once!"

"And by take over you mean...?" asked Rough as he scratched his head in confusion.

"I mean you and I are gonna stage a mutiny against that Eggman, and Starline too." replied Tumble with a clear amount of eagerness in his voice.

"Woah, let's not move too fast now!" suggested Rough. "But yeah, it is a good way to get back at those people who constantly just used us, laughed at us and made us feel miserable about every defeat when they're too much of a coward to be on the front lines like we were!"

"And something tells me that they're gonna abandon us the moment they take total control of the planet." conspired Tumble. "And besides, they probably won't expect someone as "dumb" as us to revolt against them. They'll never see it coming. On top of that, we also got ourselves two Chaos Emeralds. So whaddya say?"

"I'm in." said Rough as the two brothers gave each other a g lock handshake and immediately looked out of the nearest window after hearing an explosion in the distance.

"That sounded kinda close." said Rough as the two still had their hands locked while staring outside.

The two then had a look outside and noticed many small explosions going off in the distance, along with the sounds of gunfire and people shouting.

"Ah shit." complained Tumble, facepalming himself. "Looks like the heroes are starting their own revolution. Should we go down there?"

"Normally I would." responded Rough. "But I think that all of the robots we got down there will be too much for 'em to handle. So... let's just watch, and if things somehow slip up, then we'll fight back."

The two watched as the action going on outside ensued, which at first, seemed to be going in the favor of the Empire. That was until General Lynx and his army eventually turned the tide in their favor. And since then, they've been pushing the Empire's forces towards the center of the city, where Rough and Tumble resided.

"Keep up the fight you guys! We're almost there!" commanded General Lynx as him and his squad quickly advanced throughout the city.

Just like Vector during his fight back over at Shamar, Lynx acquired the help of now freed slaves who more than gladly took the risk and opportunity to fight for their freedom. Their army grew bigger and bigger by the minute while the Empire's numbers depleted at the same rate. Things seemed to be going very well for Lynx, who initially thought they weren't going to get very far as this whole attack was meant to be a diversion for Knuckles and the gang in the first place. Needless to say, General Lynx and his ragtag gang of rebels shattered even their own expectations.

"Oh damn! They're getting close! We better do something now!" panicked Rough.

"I agree." nodded Tumble as he jumped down from the balcony that overlooked the city and proceeded to head into battle.