Chapter 32 - Fly Spy

With Shadow defeated at the hands of Infinite, along with Omega, Cream and Big becoming captured, Team Dark were in absolute shambles. And Rouge was the only one who had any freedom at all at this point. Her and the others were able to hide themselves away from the mayhem going on outside but even they knee their luck would run out. And eventually, or better yet, inevitably, it did, and everyone was captured except for Rouge, who was somehow able to escape. And since then, she has been quietly and stealthily searching for any of the Alliance members to try and form a resistance of her own, but she has had no luck.

Throughout her recent journeys of desperation, she hasn't been able to find a single friendly face that could help her turn the tide of battle in Mobius's favor. Not only that, but she has been to afraid to confront any of the massive hordes of enemies patrolling the planet on her own. She had eventually found herself at Empire City around 2 o clock in the morning, viewing the dystopian city from the tip of a massive skyscraper that towered over the city. Her eyes had grown more sullen as she further witnessed the pain and suffering the entire planet has faced these past few weeks.

"I've had enough of this!" she said as her mood quickly grew from depressed to more malcontent. "I can't just fly around everywhere and sulk all the time. I gotta do something, because as it seems right now...no one else is. I don't even know if any of my friends are even alive anymore. Shadow, Omega, Cream...why do I keep talking to myself? Guess this whole debacle has really started to weigh down on me haha."

Rouge then quietly flew down from the building and snuck her way around the city, doing the best she can to avoid any trouble that may come her way. She had spent nearly her entire life being a spy, and now would become the ultimate test of stealth. All of her skills and experience as a stealthy spy would be put to the most enduring test of her life. If she were to get caught by anyone under the Empire, she knew that one of two things would happen as a result:

She would be killed right on the spot, or, knowing that she has affiliations with Sonic and the Alliance, she could become captured and become subject to either slavery like the Chaotix, or a wicked series of torture similar to what Sonic had faced. Either way, she knew that she could not get caught under any circumstances.

After sneaking behind a wall of dumpsters in what would usually be a very crowded alleyway, some distant chatter caught Rouge's attention. After taking a closer listen, she noticed that the voices she was hearing belonged to a robot, better yet, Metal Sonic. Her curiosity was at its peak and she leaned in to get a better listen.

"Things seem to be going pretty well over at Shamar, I presume?" asked a voice unfamiliar to Rouge. It was Doctor Starline.

"I left a clone of myself in charge." responded Metal Sonic. "But no matter, it should have no problem keeping things in check while I'm here."

"Clone of myself?" Rouge asked to herself.

"Very well then. As long as no rebellion of some sort breaks out and jeopardizes our plans, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Anyway, step one in our plan has been put into action." said Starline.

"You have Shadow?" asked Metal Sonic with curiosity.

"Indeed." answered Starline.

Rouge gasped after hearing that exchange between Metal and Starline. But she quickly covered her mouth to prevent herself from getting caught.

"We just need to make sure my experiments go smoothly without interruption. That diabolical Infinite nearly ruined everything when he nearly disobeyed me by killing him but alas, our project has begun. We cannot let Eggman know either, I suggest Rough and Tumble don't receive word of this either, the result...hoo-boy, the result would be catastrophic if they found out about this."