Chapter 49 - An Unlikely Hero

Upon abandoning his old master at Starline's laboratory, Metal Sonic was on his way to Metropolis in order to liberate the handful of Mobius's heroes that had been imprisoned there. Knuckles and the others were weren't aware of it yet, but him and his incarcerated partners were about to strike an unlikely alliance with someone whom was always viewed as the enemy. Things were about to change in the most drastic and unexpected way possible.

And just as Metal Sonic was approaching the desired penitentiary in Metropolis, Eggman and Starline had already beaten him to the punch by travelling there by way of Starline's portals. But Metal Sonic had anticipated this, so he had a different plan in mind.

"Whelp...we're here." said Starline after him and Eggman made their way into the large prison.

"Let's just hope Metal Sonic hasn't already gotten here yet." snarled Eggman. "I need to find that traitor, so that I may lynch him with his own wires."

Metal Sonic took quick notice of the two's early arrival and began to formulate the plan he was came up with during his journey.

"Looks like they've gotten here before I did." snickered Metal Sonic. "Seems as if they used one of Starline's portals again, how predictable. Anyway, I have to create a diversion grand enough to draw their attention away from the prison."

Metal Sonic flew up towards a small window near the very top of the building and squeezed himself through. The captured Alliance members were being held on the bottom floor. The current situation gave Eggman a good opportunity to decide what to do with Knuckles and the others while Starline and a handful of androids kept their eyes peeled for Metal Sonic.

"Why hello there Knucky!" greeted Eggman as he condescendingly marched towards his cell. "Enjoying your stay?"

Out of anger and pure resentment for Eggman, Knuckles stuck his arms out of his cell and tried to grab Eggman, obviously to no avail as he was held back by the steel bars that separated the two.

"Eggman...when I got out of this cell, I swear to Chaos, I'll fucking kill you!" he growled.

"Oh, that really hurt my feelings!" said Eggman sarcastically with an exaggerated whiny tone. "Poor choice of words there, Emerald boy. For that comment of yours had now cemented your fate."

"What are you talking about?" inquired Knuckles.

"Well I was going to have you work out in the field." replied Eggman. "But it seems as if your stubbornness lead me to make another decision. Guards!"

"Yes sir?" asked one of the guards as it, among a small group of others as well, approached Eggman.

"Take Knuckles to my personal chambers over at the Egg Fortress." ordered Eggman as he waved his android goons off.

"Will do, sir."

"W-wait! What are you gonna do to me?" clammered Knuckles as the quadrant of androids pulled him out of his cell.

"Trust me Knux, you don't even want to know." said Eggman maliciously whom threatened Knuckles with a menacing stare and grin.

Knuckles tried his hardest to break free from the androids grasp but due to to the fatigue and injuries he was facing, he could barely budge, no matter how much or how hard he flailed and pushed around. He could've easily smahed all their heads in within mere seconds, but he was in too much pain thanks to his battle with Infinite, so he simply didn't have the strength he would normally have.

"Don't touch him you bastard!" called out a familiar voice that none of them have heard during their period of imprisonment.

"Who said that?" wondered Eggman. "Ah! Ms. Rouge! Would you care to join him?"