Chapter 47 - A Battle in Familiar Territory

Vector continued to drive straight toward Central City, keeping his foot slammed right down on the gas pedal at all times so him and the others could arrive at the city quickly before any more danger could strike. Everyone aboard the stolen truck were more than eager to help liberate another location from the Empire's overwhelming rule. Vector thought that since he did such a swell job in doing so at Shamar, he could easily display the same act of rebellious heroism which would help further spark a revolution within the whole planet. They were taking it one city at a time.

"Central City should be dead ahead." reminded Vector, encouraging everyone on board to prepare themselves for battle. "We just cut off a huge transport of androids so we should have far less trouble on our hands but this war has been full of surprises, so watch your back and always be ready for anything."

"Understood." said Tangle while saluting in a sarcastic and humourous manner.

"I was surprised with how I managed to help free Shamar." said Vector, acknowledging his success. "I just hope...no...I just know we can keep this whole revolution thing going. First it was Shamar, pretty soon it's going to be Central City, then who knows which city will be rescued afterwards, but either way, this little squad we got right here...we're gonna save the whole damb planet."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves now." warned Blaze who was trying to keep Vector's eagerness in check. "Yes, you've done some incredible things so far, but I think in order to save the entire planet, we'll need some extra assistance. Remember, you haven't exactly fought the same monster me and Silver fought. And let's face it Vector, even with all of us together, we still won't be able to defeat him. If we're going to beat him, we need the whole Alliance together again."

"Yeah sorry, perhaps I'm just growing mad with power." chuckled Vector nervously, feeling a little embarrassed over his recent display of exaggerated tenacity. "Anyway, if this...thing is as powerful as you make it out to be, we'll need every able bodied being on this planet to step up and show 'em who's boss."

"Heh, that would work I guess." said Blaze with a light chuckle.

The group continued to chat with each other about their war efforts and what their plans for globetrotting their way to freedom would be while Vector continued to drive to the city. They were approaching the outskirts of the city when Rough and Tumble had already arrived, feeling absolutely humiliated about the destruction of the supplies they were tasked with delivering. They were now afraid of two things: how Eggman would react to this failure, and what the Alliance were going to do to them once they are found. Either way, they were screwed and almost out of options.

"Whelp...we're here." shuddered Rough. "Aw man, I'm so scared. Eggman is expecting a call from us at any moment! We can't just leave him hanging, that would make him even more angry!"

"Leave the status report to me, little bro." said Tumble with a surprising amount of swagger, seeming as if his mood had been completely turned upside down. "I'll just lie to him, simple as that. I'll tell him delivering the machines was a success and we'll be in his good graces for sure!"

"Yeah, but what about when he eventually finds out about your little lie?" asked Rough with a smirk on his face.

"Oh." replied Tumble with a dumbfounded tone, his recent bravado seeming to have faded away and replaced with the usual fatuity he was used to. "Well...I hadn't exactly thought of an excuse for that just yet."

"Or, y'know, don't lie. That sounds like a much better idea to me." said Rough with some slight laughter.

"Fine. Have it your way then." grumbled Tumble as he prepared to call Eggman and deliver the disappointing news.