Part 3 - Detention and Soccer Try-Outs

I walk into the PE office where Mr Hood should be.  When I get there I see my darling boyfriend.  “Hey babe.”  I smile at him.  He turns to look at me.  “Hey hun.  What you doing here?”  He asked confused.  “Detention.  I told you that.  You?”  “Soccer try-outs.”  He shrugged.  My face brightened.  Mr Hood was obviously too busy for my detention.  “Where is the knob then?”  I asked.  “I hope that isn’t me you are talking about Summer.”  I turned and rolled my eyes at the stupid teachers smirk.  “Not at all sir.”  I say sarcastically with a big fake smile across my face.  “I am glad.”  He grinned.  Dickhead.

“So, what about the practice?”  Tom asked, breaking apart Mr Hood and I’s glares at each other.  “Erm, we are going to go outside.”  He said turning his back.  “Come on then.”  He clapped his hands together.  “Summer you can just leave…”  He said and my face actually lit up.  “Your stuff in my office.”  He chuckles.  “You are actually such a dick.”  I say quietly so the boys can’t hear me.  “And you, need to work on your whispering skills.”  Mr Hood whisper shouted back to me with a stupid grin plastered over his face.  “Maybe, I wanted you to hear me.”  I suggest.  He just let out a little laugh and it made me smile.  But then I remember he is a knob and I can’t smile at anything he does, no matter how cute it sounds. 

We walk out to the pitches out the back of the school and the boys all line up.  “So, there are 12 positions available.  I am going to be choosing 15 out of the 28 of you, based how you perform today.  If you were on the team before that doesn’t matter.  All I am taking into account is skill.”  He told them and a few of them actually looked really worried.  “Get into pairs to run a few drills.”  He told them.  The boys all went into twos and Mr Hood was just about to tell them what to do when somebody came running onto the pitch.  “Sorry, I am late.  I only just found out about try-outs.”  A younger looking blond boy ran out.  “Maybe that’s because nobody wants you here geek!”  Tom shouts and I glare at him.  “Shut up!”  I tell him and all the guys ‘ooh’ at me. 

The little guy looks really upset. “We have an odd number anyway.”  Tom shrugs.  I just look at him.  Mr Hood turns to me.  “Any good at soccer?”  He asks.  “I’m alright.”  I say not feeling entirely confident with my skills considering it was the soccer team.  “Good.”  He smiled, it seemed genuine.  “You can go with Harry.”  He told me.  “Who’s-?”  “I’m Harry.”  The younger boy told me and I gave him a small smile.  I walked over to him.  Wait, but how did Mr Hood know his name? 

Harry isn’t much taller than me, just a couple inches.  But I think he is only a year 9, so that is understandable.  He actually looks adorable.  “So, I want to see your passing.”  Mr Hood shouts.  Yes, I’ve got this.  “While you are running laps of the circuit Summer so kindly put out for you.”  He smiled and I groaned.  I don’t got this. 

Harry and I do as we were instructed and manage to keep the ball going back and forth without ever flailing off to the sides.  Even with some of the other guys trying to sabotage him.  I feel really bad for Harry.  He was actually pretty good, better than some of the other guys, whose balls kept soaring off to the side.  He smiled at me as we kicked the ball back and forth between one another.  “So, how come you are here?”  He asks me.  “I had detention.”  I say glumly.  “On the first day?”  He chuckles.  “Yeah, I can never keep my mouth shut.”  I giggle back and he just smiles.  All of a sudden a ball comes flying towards us and Harry manages to head it out of the way.  “Nice work, Harry!”  Mr Hood shouts.  “How come he knows your name?” I ask.  “He’s friends with my brother.”  That makes sense.  I nod back in response. 

Mr Hood finishes that drill and makes us run a few more, writing down notes as the try-outs go on.  After we are finished I am very sweaty, so my uniform is disgusting.  I am pretty sure I look a mess, and not the hot kind.  Mr Hood blows his whistle to tell us it is over.  “That is all guys.  I will let you know the team tomorrow.”  He tells the guys and I just try to catch my breathing.  “You can all get changed and head off.”  He smiles and the guys all nod.  Tom waits for me and I walk towards him.  “Not you Summer.  You need to help me out, it was detention after all.”  He grins and i pout.  I give Tom a kiss.  “I’ll see you tonight?”  He asks, I had forgotten about the party.  “Shit.  I forgot.  But yes, I will just meet you there.”  I tell him and Tom nods, giving me another quick kiss.  “Enough of that!”  Mr Hood shouts.  “Don’t think you would want another detention Miss Thompson.”  He smirks.  “He really doesn’t like you babe.”  Tom says and I nod.  “Tell me about it.”  I roll my eyes walking back over to Mr Hood.