Part 11 - Back to School

Spencer dropped me off at school after we had finished up at the station.  He had to come in with me to explain to my guidance councillor why I was so late.  I told him I didn’t want them to know what had actually happened and he gave me a sympathetic nod. 

We got to Mr Andrews and he sat us down.  “Look Summer, I know that you have gone through a lot but being this late to school is not really a good start for last term.”  He began but Spencer held up his hand for him to stop.  “Mr Andrews I am very sorry but Summer had to come with me this morning.”  “And why was that?”  Mr Andrews inquires.  “We were at the police station.  You see my sister viewed a crime and had to go in to report it.  It took much longer than expected and I apologise for that.  But this is not Summer’s fault.  She was being a good person by reporting the crime and should not be punished for it.”  Spencer reasoned with him.  “I see.  I am very sorry about that.  Are you alright?”  He asked me and I gave him a smile.  “As good as can be, considering the circumstances.”  I tell him and he give me a sympathetic smile.  “I understand.”  He nods. 

“In all honesty sir.  I wasn’t too sure about her even coming in today.  But she insisted that she should since she didn’t want to miss work.”  Spencer informs him and his eyes widen slightly.  “That is perfectly understandable.  Are you sure you are up to do the work today? I could just collect the notes and give them to you?”  He suggested but I shook my head.  “No sir.  I am able to do my own work.  It was nothing that I won’t get over.”  He gives me a brief smile.  “Alright.  What are you classes today?”  He asks.  “Biology, Maths, English, Gym, Art and Spanish.”  “And what subjects have you missed?”  “Just biology.”  “Okay, I will write you a note so you don’t have to take part in Gym today.  It is just a hassle you could be doing without.”  “Thank you.”  I smile at him.  “It is perfectly fine.”  He says writing the note.  “You should head off to class now and Mr Thompson, thank you for explaining this to me.”  Spencer nods and shakes Mr Andrews’ hand. 

Spencer and I walk out of his office and he gives me a hug.  “I will be home sharp today.  I will definitely be home for six at the latest.”  He tells me and I nod.  “Love you sis.  If you need to leave just give me a call and I will sort it out.”  “Thanks Spenny.  Love you too.”  HE kisses my forehead before leaving. 

I walk quickly to Maths class and knock on the door before entering.  Mr Hemmings just looks at me and gives me a smile.  “Just take your seat Summer.”  He says and I nod.  I walk to my seat beside Sasha.  When I sit down and pull out my things.  “Where the hell have you been?  I’ve been texting you all morning.”  She says to me and I just groan.  “It is too long to explain now.  I will tell you after class.  Okay?  I’m sorry.”  I tell her and she rolls her eyes and nods.  “Okay.  We are doing standard deviation.”  She tells me and it is my turn to roll my eyes.  I never know how to do fucking maths. 

After class Mr Hemmings keeps me behind after the rest of them leave.  “I’ll get you outside.”  Sasha tells me with a smile and I nod.  “Okay.  I won’t be long.”  I inform her and she nods.  “What’s up sir?”  I ask as I approach Mr Hemmings desk.  “Are you okay Summer?  Should you really be in school today?”  He asks with furrowed eyebrows and a sympathetic look across his face.  “I will be fine sir.  I just- I need to do something to try and forget about it.”  He nods.  “I get it.  Just take it easy today.”  He tells me and I nod.  “Will do.”  I tell him and I walk to the door.  “I am really sorry about what happened to you.  I know Cal is relieved that he was there.  I just- I hope that you know I am here if you need anything.”  “Thanks sir.”  “Luke.  You can call me Luke when nobody else is around.”  “Okay, Luke.”  I grin at him.  “Bye Summer.”  “Bye.”  I say and close the door behind me.