Part Four - Summer and Soccer Try-Outs

Sorry this took so long.  It really should have been up quicker but life got in the way.  Doesn't it always?  

Anyway, enjoy.

I finally remembered that I had in fact told this guy Tom, that soccer try-outs would be after school today, but I had also scheduled for Summer to have detention… I guess she can be my little assistant again.  I walk around trying to get things sorted for this try-out.  This is a lot more stressful when I forgot about it.  I had to text Luke to tell him I had to wait on, so that meant he did too. 

While I walk back into my office I hear a conversation.  It is that guy Tom and… Summer.  ‘Babe’?  ‘Hun’?  Are they dating?  That is annoying, but I don’t know why.  Then I hear Summer again.  “Where is the knob then?”  I chuckled softly before walking in to surprise her.  “I hope that isn’t me you are talking about Summer.”  I smirked at her as I stood at the doorway.  She turned around and rolled her eyes, she is genuinely my favourite student.  “Not at all sir.”  Such sass from a student.  “I am glad.”  I grin, knowing that she was being sarcastic, but I just want to annoy her.

Summer and I stare at each other for a while, her giving me daggers and me just smirking at her.  We are brought back to reality when Tom just had to speak.  “What about practice?”  “”We are going outside.”  I turn around to pick something up and then look back at them both.  “Come on then.”  I clap my hands to get a reaction from them. 

After finally remembering what we were supposed to be doing.  “Summer you can just leave…” I can tell that Summer is smiling because she thinks she can leave, so I decide to break her fun.  “Your stuff in my office.”  I smirk and chuckle at her.  Her face drops and she looks the most annoyed I’ve seen.  “You are actually such a dick.”  She says just loudly enough for me to hear, and only me.  “And you, need to work on your whispering skills.”  I whisper as she walks by me.  She stops and turns to face me.  “Maybe I wanted you to hear me.”  She says, trying to sound convincing but it just makes me laugh.  I am sure I see a small smile creep onto her face before she turns it into a scowl and walking away in front of me.  I watch as her hips move from side to side, she looks pretty hot walking by in an attempt to storm away. 

When we get out to the pitches Summer and I had to set out all the boys line up.  “So, there are 12 positions available.  I will be choosing 15 out of the 28 of you, based purely on how you perform today.  If you were on the team before that doesn’t matter, we are starting afresh this year.  All I care about is skill.”  I shout to them and they all nod but a few of them look scared making me feel bad, I don’t like being a hard-arse on people.  Only Summer.  “Get into pairs for some drills!”  I say and they go off into their little pairs. 

I was just about to tell them what to do when Harry comes running onto the pitch, not even out of breath, impressive.  I looked at him and gave him a small smile.  “Sorry I am late.  I only just found out about the try-outs.”  He says running towards me.  I smiled at him.  Just as I was about to tell him to join Tom piped up.  “Maybe that’s because nobody wants you here geek!”  He shouts, making all the other boys laugh.  I was about to kick him out already but I want a skilled team.  Besides, it makes me feel a little better when I see Summer glare at him and tells him to shut up, at least she isn’t a bully.  The guys did shut up after that though, for which I was grateful. 

I can tell that Harry is upset, anybody would be.  But I also know that he is really good.  “We would have an odd number anyway.”  Tom shrugs and I glare at him again.  I think about what I could do, how I could let Harry try out fair and square without these douchebags sabotaging him.  Lightbulb!  “Any good at soccer?”  I ask turning to face Summer.  “I’m alright.”  She says rather unsure, but I don’t need her to be good, I just need her to work with Harry.  “Good.”  I smile at her.  “You can go with Harry.”  She looks confused.  He never introduced himself and he is a couple years younger than her, no wonder she doesn’t know who he is.  “Who’s?”  “I’m Harry.”  He tells her and she sends him a small smile before walking over to him.