Part 17 - Tutoring Sesh

The school day finally came to an end but I still have tutoring with Mr Hemmings, or Luke, as he insists I call him when nobody else is around.  I am actually nervous.  And I don't know why.  He told me to meet him at his class after my last class and so that is where I am walking.  "Hey Summer!"  Sasha shouts from behind me.  I turn to see her.  I still don't know what happened with her and Tom this morning.  Like, I don't understand and I have kind of avoided her for the day.  "Hi Sasha."  I smiled a little.  She seemed to notice my timid approach to her.  Her eyes kind of screwed up in confusion. 

She just looked at me as she walked closer.  "What happened today?  I have hardly seen you around."  Well that's because I was avoiding you.  "Yeah, I just had a lot to do today.  Kind of forgot about meeting up with you."  "I waited outside Math for you for ages but then the bell was going to ring so I had to leave."  She tells me.  I know, with Tom.  "Sorry, we were talking for a while about stuff."  "Oh, what stuff?"  She wiggles her eyes suggestively.  "Life and Maths.  Nothing interesting."  I shrug.  "Oh, okay.  Are you wanting a lift home?"  She asks me.  "No.  I am going out for a while."  "Oh.  Well do you want to hang out later today?"  "Sorry, I don't really have time."  I tell her and her face drops. 

She stays quiet for a while looking at the ground in thought.  "Have I done something?"  She asks sadly.  "What is going on with you and Tom?"  I ask her, not answering her question.  She freezes and her eyes widen.  "I- what?"  She stutters flustered.  "I came out the class after talking to Mr Hemmings and saw you and Tom talking and then you hugged and I got confused and went back into the class."  I tell her and her eyes widen even more, if that is even possible.  "We were just talking."  "About?"  "Well, a couple of things."  She shrugs looking to the ground.  She does that when she is nervous.  "Like..."  I press.  "You, for one."  "Why were you talking about me?"  I ask slightly offended.  "He was saying you were acting really weird and avoiding him."  She tells me and my jaw drops.  "Seriously?  He said I was avoiding him?"  I almost shouted. 

She stayed quiet and just nods.  "That is rich.  He never even spoke to me yesterday at soccer practice and then he was complaining about me to Mr Hood."  I tell her and she just looks at me.  "Well can you blame him?  It is pretty weird that you are on the team."  She tells me and I just look at her totally taken back.  "Because I am good at soccer!"  I defend.  "Why else would he have put me on the team?"  I ask her.  "Maybe he has the hots for you."  She suggests and I look at her.  "As if!  I hit him in the face with a hockey stick."  I remind her and she nods.  "I guess."  She shrugs.  "Look, why did you guys hug?"  I ask her really wanting to know.  I will not have this turn around to be about me.  "Because we are friends."  She says.  "And what happened to me publicly humiliating him, like you wanted me to do to your friend this morning?"  I snap at her.  "That was before I heard his side of the story."  She shouts. 

I look at her incredulously.  "And what is his side?"  I ask her.  "Well he said you started shouting at him at his party and then you just walked off when he tried to stop you.  Then he said that he was trying to call you and that you were rejecting his calls."  "That is complete lies Sash.  I told him about me maybe being on the team and he freaked out at me.  He is the one that walked off with Megan trailing after him, and he put his arm around her.  Then when I left because I didn't want to stay in his house when he was pissed off at me and my phone died."  I tell her the truth and she looks at me as if to work out if I am lying or not.  "Okay.  But it doesn't take that long to get our house from his.  Why didn't you answer when you charged your phone?"  She says and my face drops.  "I couldn't.  I didn't get in until really late."  "Later than his party went on?"  She says accusingly.  "Yes."  "Why did it take you so long to get home?"  She asks not believing me.  "I just- erm, I don't know."  I tell her.  I don't want to tell her what actually happened.  "Summer?  What happened?"  She presses, getting annoyed with me.  "I saw that crime and stuff."  I tell her.  "But that couldn't have taken you that long?"  She says.  "And I had to walk and stuff."  I add on.  "That does not take that long Summer.  I don't understand why you don't just tell me?"  She asks angrily.  I freeze and look around.  I can't tell her that I was almost assaulted and I definitely cannot tell her that Calum saved me and drove me around while I looked for my stuff.  I don't want to and it could get him in trouble.