Part Fourteen - She Needs To Be Happy

My classes had passed since Summer's.  They were actually quite good.  I enjoyed them and managed to teach them as well as wanted to.  They listened to me, most of the time.  Both Luke and I had last period off and we just talked.  He had marking to do, I don't even know why.  He must have given them homework or something.  And on the first day, what a douche.  He better not have given Summer homework, he knows what she went through.  We actually talked a little bit about Summer and last night.  He kept pestering me about it but I couldn't be bothered with his questions.  We then talked about his family and what he was going to do since Ben knew he was back.  All of his family lived here or nearby.  Mine was kind of spread.  My parents live like an hour away and my sister lives in London.  I miss her.  She was like my best friend growing up.  She taught me a lot about life and music.  We would always have little jam sessions when we were young.  I should call her. 

But now it is time for soccer practice.  I hope the guys aren't dicks to Summer.  Even I know they will be pissed she is on the team.  They better not take it out on her, I am the one that chose the members and she never even tried out.  I practically had to beg her to join.  I feel weird about her being here.  Like she should be at home.  Although, if she was at home then she would be alone and anyone could get to her.  Oh god, what is wrong with me?  I just want her to be safe.  I hate that she had to go through what she has.  She should never have to go through shit like that.  But at least she is smart enough to get out of bad situations, even when she was drunk.  She is so smart.

I wait for the guys to all show up for me to announce the team.  I need to talk to Tom though.  Since I am going to make him captain and all.  He needs to be able not to show favouritism to people, he needs to involve everybody.  I am worried about how he will react.  I am going to tell him the members beforehand so he knows.  He will most likely be pissed off at his co-captain, but he is seriously the most talented in the team.  The only reason he isn't captain is because I know that they wouldn't respect him or listen to him.  Besides he is too young for it.  I guess I am just breaking all the rules with my choices. 

Tom shows up and I take him to my office and tell the rest of the guys to wait in the hall.  "Hey man.  So I made my choices for the team and I made you captain."  I tell him first of all.  "Obviously."  He smirks.  God this guy is obnoxious.  "So what's this about?"  He asks.  "Well I just wanted to talk you beforehand."  "Yeah, okay.  About that, I actually had something to ask you?"  He says and I nod.  "Go for it."  I say crossing my arms.  "Well my girlfriend, Summer.  She mentioned something about you asking her to be on the team."  He chuckles.  "She was mistaken, wasn't she?"  He asks with a stupid smirk on his face.  "No.  She was right." I tell him seriously.  "What!?"  He shouts.  "She has talent and she was better than most of the other guys."  I announce.  "But she never even tried out!"  He says annoyed.  "And she was still better than them."  I chuckle.  "But she is a girl.  It is a guys' team."  He tells me.  "Actually there are no rules against a girl being on the team."  I say and his jaw drops before clenching.  "This is bullshit."  He angrily shakes his head.  "Nope it isn't.  And if you have a problem I can always change the captain."  I threaten and he stares at me.  "What?  But that isn't fair."  He whines.  God, he is acting like such a little bitch. 

"Look Tom, I need a captain that is going to work with all the players.  If you can't do that then you aren't right for the job."  I shrug.  "No!  No, I will do it!"  He shouts.  "Good.  Because I know that if you are on board then the other guys will be fine with it."  I tell him honestly.  I know that the other guys like him and so this is good.  "Okay fine."  He nods.  "Do I at least have a good co-captain?"  He asks.  "He is the most talented on the team if that is what you mean?"  I say and he looks at me.  "Is that not me?"  He asks with a confused laugh.  He is such a cocky guy.  "No, Harry Irwin."  I tell him.  "The year 9!?"  He shouts louder than ever before.  He starts to laugh.  "You must be joking me?"  He asks.  "Nope.  That's your man."  I tell him annoyed that he is being such a dick about this.  "Oh my god.  We are going to lose so badly this year."  He shakes his head frustrated.  I am getting angry at him now.  "Tom.  If that is your attitude then just leave."  I point to the door.  "I don't need that kind of negativity leading my team."  I add.  "Oh my god.  No, it is fine.  I will do this."  He says.  "The teams will only listen to me."  He says.  "They had better listen to me as well."  I tell him and he nods his head.  "They will.  But if I tell them it is cool then they'll work with it."  "Good.  And you will not just disregard either Summer or Harry?"  "No.  I will use them just as much as they need to be used."  "Which is what I decide.  You got that?"  "Yes coach."  He says nodding his head reluctantly.  "Good.  Now let's go."  I say before turning to walk into the hall.