Part Fifty-Four - A Helping Hand

So today is the day. The day that Summer goes back to school. The day that I can't avoid any longer. It's been two weeks since I last spoke to her. Two long ass weeks since I saw her beautiful face. I can't just not go. All to avoid her. It is my work. I just wish it could be easier. I'm just going to have to get over myself.

I made arrangements over the past two weeks to make life at school easier for her. I've arranged for the new female gym teacher, Miss Rhodes to take my class that would have been with Summer. It is for her, so she doesn't have to see me. So she isn't forced into taking orders from me. I did this as soon as I got back into work. That she would take that class. It was originally so there was no favouritism within it but now it is so she isn't forced to look at the face that hurt her.

We had all spoken to the Head Teacher, Mr Giles, about her situation. It wasn't fully explained because he doesn't need to know everything. Spencer and I had gone in to ask that Summer not be bothered by people asking stupid questions. She was there to learn and there was no reason to bring it up. It would risk her going back into herself and make her uncomfortable.

Spencer has made it plainly clear to him that if Summer gets home upset over anything that happened in school then he would take action into them. He was not going to let her be upset or uncomfortable in a place that she needs to attend for the next few weeks in order to get her qualifications. And I had fully agreed with all he had stated.

"And what has this to do with you Hood?" Mr Giles had asked. "Let's just say I was involved in the criminal investigation and that I care about the wellbeing of Summer. I am also close with Mr Thompson here and we are good friends. So it makes sense that I would want Summer's time her to be spent in peace." I had said, pretty much copying exactly what Spencer had told me to say if this was brought up. Mr Giles had simply nodded at this and agreed to everything both Spencer and I had stated.

But that was last week that we had done all of this. It had been a week of me worrying. Worrying about her. How she would cope coming back. How she would cope seeing me. I can't get in her way. I don't want her to be uncomfortable. As I said to Mr Giles, I just want her time here to be spent in peace. And I will do anything in my power to make that possible. I know she isn't doing soccer again, we had talked about it before. It just didn't really make sense to take her away from her studies and it would be awkward to come back in considering we only had a couple games left. I don't even do the soccer team anymore. I was replaced when I was off while Summer was gone. It doesn't bother me though. Nothing really does anymore.

As the bell rings for the second class of the day, the class I am supposed to have Summer, I stand in the office. "So why are you wanting me to take this class again?" Miss Rhodes asked me quizzically. "I just thought it made sense. Besides I think it would make the girls more comfortable with a female teacher. And it would stop the guys ogling you." I told her, trying to make a joke to win her over. She laughed along, so it had worked. "That makes sense. Thanks Hood." She had laughed. I knew she was trying to flirt. She had ever since I came back after my time off. Not that her flirting ever did anything for me. She was hot, yes. But she was not for me. I didn't like her like that. Much to her annoyance. It didn't make her try any less though.

The classes all filled in and Miss Rhodes and I walked to them. She went in the gym where my old class were waiting. I took a fleeting glance in and spotted Summer straight away. She looked tired, but no less beautiful than ever. As much as I wanted to go up to her and talk, I couldn't. For one, we were in school. Second, I've not spoken to her in two weeks. And third, I don't think I would have been able to go in there without kissing her.