Chapter 1 Leads

Baoshen Sanren was leaving today. She was sitting under a magnolia tree, watching the ivory petals fall around her, and enjoying the heavenly scent. The light wind fluttered in her hair, the soft fragrance of sandalwood floating around her. She sighed, breathing in the peaceful aroma.

This was the place where she had sent her daughter to study, envisioning a promising future filled with the success of acing in the Cultivation world, and instead, losing her to a man she believed did not deserve her.

Perhaps all parents thought that, she mused. No one ever believed anyone was good enough for their children.

But her daughter had given her the precious gift of a grandson, who was now making his way towards her, looking...not as happy as he usually was. She frowned, wondering who had upset him, and...what she was going to do to them when she caught them....

She sat up, sharp eyes watching him come to her and sit down. She waited for him to speak his mind, but he was lost in his own thoughts, so she let him be.

Wei Ying felt calmer, sitting next to his grandmother. She evoked the same sense of familiar comfort that he found with Lan Zhan, though perhaps not to the same degree, but it was there, nevertheless.

"Grandmother?" He turned to face her.

"Are you going to tell me what's bothering you?" She smirked at his look of disbelief, followed by bashfulness.

"Okay," he decided, taking a deep breath. "What can you tell me about Li XiWang? How did you find her?"

"Why? What's wrong?" Her tone was sharp, concern edging around her words.

"I'll explain...but I would like to know everything first. Please." He added, not wanting to make her angry with him.

"Alright. It's just that I don't know much. As you know, most orphans are left by the oak trees. It got so bad that we've made a little shelter there, for the mothers. For whatever reason, if they feel as if they have to give up their children, I want them to feel better for leaving them with me." She sighed, and the sound was filled with pain. "We found her when she'd been left there. She was about two years old."

"That's it?" Wei Ying looked incredibly disappointed.

"That's it." She confirmed. "Oh, I remember, there was something...she had a pouch tied to her waist."

"Really?" Wei Ying perked up. "What was in it?"

"I can't remember. But I can try and find it for you."

Wei Ying threw himself into her arms. "Thank you, grandmother."

She patted his back awkwardly. "Yes, yes. Now tell me why you're so interested?"

Wei Ying told her about the knife attacker and her cryptic words upon seeing his daughter.

"You know she could have been lying? She lied about her relationship with you! I don't know how you can believe someone like her." She scoffed.

"It's not that I believe her, so much as I'd rather make sure there's nothing wrong. I want to protect my daughter." Wei Ying smiled genuinely for the first time since he had sat down.

"Commendable, but unnecessary, I think, in this instance." She smiled at him. "I'll still check. You can come and visit me soon."

"Okay, grandmother, we will." He kissed her cheek and went to find Lan Zhan.

******

Lan Zhan was in the library. He smiled when Wei Ying wriggled his way onto his lap and then made himself comfortable. His brow furrowed in concern when he saw the faint traces of worry hiding in the silver orbs. He put down his brush and held his husband closer. Wei Ying was normally a tactile person, always comfortable touching people, especially him, but Lan Zhan knew it was more so when he was distressed and didn't want to show it.