Chapter 46 Unfriendly

Just one more town to go before they would reach the seaside. Already, the travellers were filled with excitement, not only because of what they would find, but each had only ever heard about the sea, never seen it with their own eyes. They could smell the salt in the air, and their footsteps quickened naturally.

This last town, was different to all those they had encountered on the way. Not only was it in worse shape as a whole, but there was something...odd about it.

The town was called Haibian Chengshi, literally meaning seaside town. The buildings were all either rundown shacks like those of a shanty town, or makeshift shops and stalls. The colours were drab; grey and mottled browns instead of the vivid pinks and reds of the previous places. There was none of the gaiety of friendly people, as if they strove to match their personalities with their dull surroundings.

A strange fishy smell sat in the air, heavier than the wind, settling in their clothes. Wei Ying couldn't help wrinkling his nose as they walked along the main street, trying to find a tavern or an Inn.

The natives were giving them funny looks too, and they were not of the welcoming kind. Wei Ying walked closer to Lan Zhan making sure the children stayed in front of them. His skin crawled with the feeling that someone or something was watching them. It was a strange place, indeed.

This was definitely a poorer place, as if people had to make do with second best. Their clothes looked worn and ragged, their eyes dull and unhappy...until they looked at them. Then a flicker of interest grew, and unfriendly interest followed their footsteps.

"I don't think we should spend any time outside, Lan Zhan." Wei Ying whispered, not wanting to draw attention to what he was saying. "Let's find somewhere to stay, and not come out until the morning."

"Mn."

It was already late, and the weather wasn't helping. Great clouds laden heavy with water filled the skies, ready to unleash their wrath. The wind surged through the man-made valley, whipping their robes askew.

They came upon the last house on the edge of a wilderness. It would not be safe to sleep outdoors tonight, and given the ferocity of the wind, not at all comfortable either. And unless they wanted to incur the bad feelings from the people in town, still risking rejection, they would have to try to find shelter soon.

"Let's knock on this door, Lan Zhan!" The wind stole his words, tossing them towards the sea.

Wei Ying ran up the stairs, noticing their state of disrepair. The door was a charcoal grey, battered by the wind and rain, yet firmly standing. Brine in the air had caused rotting in it's frame and body, streaks of dried salt embedded in the cracks.

He had to knock three times, before it creaked open, just an inch. A pale, withered face looked out from the gap.

"What do you want?" It was a woman.

Wei Ying felt bad that he hadn't been able to tell.

"Shelter, please, grandmother. There seems to be a storm coming."

"No room," she mumbled, trying to close the door.

But Wei Ying had placed his boot in the gap, and she couldn't close it.

"Please! I have children! We will pay you." He begged.

She leaned out to check he was telling the truth.

"Alright." She agreed, but reluctantly. "You may sleep in the parlour."

"Thank you, grandmother, thank you!" Wei Ying beckoned over his family and they went inside. The old woman was watching them like a hawk, scrutinising their every move.

The house was dark and unlit, but she gave Wei Ying a lit candle, motioning him to follow. She led them to a cozy room where a fire danced in the corner. Shadows jumped in the flames eerily, while the logs hissed and crackled.

Li XiWang held Wei Ying's hand, her little body trembling with the cold.

"Sit." The woman said, sitting down herself.

They sat on the floor, huddled in a group, while she continued to watch them.

"Why have you come here? To Haibian Chengshi?" She asked. Curiosity leaked from her words, as interest grew in her eyes.

Wei Ying didn't want to answer but it would be rude not to.

"We are travellers, and happened to find our way here. We have never seen the sea." He replied, vaguely.

She pinned him with her gaze, shrewd and calculating.

"I see."

Her tone implied she did not believe him.

"How long have you lived here?" Wei Ying asked, mostly to distract her.

"Longer than your years." She scoffed, something in the way she said it suggested she knew exactly what he was doing. "The sea, young man, is as old as time. It is good to pay your respects, before you leave."

"We intend to." Maybe she was challenging him, and this was his answer.

"It holds many secrets, not all of them good. Are you sure you're brave enough?" She gently mocked them, assessing.

"Perhaps, perhaps not."

Their eyes continued to battle even when their words rested, until finally, she let out a loud cackle. Li XiWang was startled until Lan Zhan put his arm around her small shoulders.

"Good answer. It will be interesting, if nothing else." She stood up. "You may sleep here for the night. I expect you gone by first light."

"Thank you, grandmother." They bowed to her before she left. She threw out one last chuckle before closing the door behind her.