Chapter 14 Travel

Jin Ling watched the master tailor measure his body for wedding robes. He looked in the mirror and felt as if he was standing to the side, looking at somebody else.

The room was filled with shades of red, draperies and decorations, cloth to make their gowns, even the bed covers.

He shuddered involuntarily, earning a glare from the man currently in a compromising position on the floor.

He should say something. Say something say something say something...the words became a litany in his head.

"Stop." He mumbled, rubbing his temples.

"What?" The tailor stood up jerkily.

"Can we...can we do this later?" He motioned to the maid standing on the side and she brought her tray to him.

He drank whatever it was, grateful for the strong taste.
The room cleared out with the wave of his hand, and he sank to the floor in relief.

Nothing was right. He felt as if he couldn't breathe, and he really wanted to talk to someone. Anyone, at this point. Not Lotus Pier though.

He stood up. Cloud Recesses it would have to be.

******

XiChen opened his eyes to find Jiang Cheng staring at him, a look of adoration in his eyes.

"Thank you for coming back to me." He whispered, snuggling closer.

XiChen just felt ashamed. He would not cry...

"Do you think we could go back to Cloud Recesses?" Jiang Cheng whispered, his eyes fluttering closed.

"Really? But this is your home..."
XiChen couldn't believe it.

"I know...but I think we both might be happier there. Just for a week, maybe?" His words were slurring as sleep came over him.

"Let's see when you wake up." XiChen kissed his forehead and watched him for a while.

Cloud Recesses was better right now. XiChen knew everyone there, and more importantly, Jiang Cheng would be safe.

Jiang Cheng had told him not to worry, but how could he not? Not only as his husband, but as sect leader, he had failed to keep one man out of harm's way.

Whoever had done it was still out there, and XiChen was determined they would be caught and brought to justice.

Later...he thought, as his eyes drifted closed.

*****

This time, Wei Ying wanted answers. He knew for a fact that Shou Xing was not going to pass out any time soon, so he pushed past the guard on the door, smiling sweetly as he did so.

Shou Xing was sitting in the garden as before. He remained calm when he saw Wei Ying walk towards him.

Wei Ying sat next to him and offered him some nuts from a paper bag.

"Was I right, Immortal Wei?" He cocked his head, but his expression was totally serious.

"There was a birthmark, where you said." Wei Ying didn't want to admit to anything, after all, it was about his daughter. Why should anyone know more about her than himself?

"Is there anything else you want to tell me? About it?"

"No." Technically, it wasn't a lie, given that he didn't want to tell him anything.

"So it's going to be like that, then." He was more resigned now. "Very well, I shall tell you everything I know, and then you can decide whether to trust me or not. Agreed?" He turned his face up to the sun, and Wei Ying could see all the tiny wrinkles exposed to the light.

This was truly an ancient being.

"I was born when the stars were young, and not so many to light the sky at night. Many moons ago, these lands were filled with with a vast and myriad variety of people.

"As time went on, conflicts began to rise. Mostly this was to do with land and water and other essential supplies, and if course, the stronger species would undoubtedly prevail over the weaker ones.

"My Lord, Bao Sheng Dadi was charged with keeping the peace on the land, and his brother, Bao Feng Dadi kept the peace in the oceans.

"A war broke out and there were many casualties. Every race, every family suffered losses. One particular group of people was forced from fertile green pastures to live in the desert. Of course, this was near to impossible for them.

"The land was barren and dry, and they were left to starve. My Lord was grieved at their plight and tried to help them out. Overnight, he sent enough rainfall, the equivalent of a full monsoon. Those people dug out parts of the desert and created oases. Trees began to grow, due to the abundance of water and sunlight, and they began to prosper.

"But their progress was watched by others, who were greedy by nature, and sought to disrupt these peaceful people's lives. They persecuted them, killing them off slowly.

"The few survivors looked for refuge in the sea. They developed gills and tails, through evolution, and once again, they began to thrive. My Lord was particularly biased towards them, for he had taken on the responsibility of guarding their lives. He granted me, his lead disciple, Cognition.

"I have the gift of being able to sense these people."

"So shouldn't you be on her side? You made it out like...there was a problem with my daughter." Wei Ying tried not to glare at him.

"Your daughter is only partially a descendant of those people. There is much more to her story, than even I know." He stroked his whiskers. "But you should be cautious. Many people out there, still hold a grudge. The water people also, are not completely innocent."

"Meaning?"

"The assassins that attacked me, were sent by other forces. I am only saying that it's not safe for her."

"But she must be safe in Cloud Recesses, surely?" Wei Ying was now worried. "Just how much aren't you telling me?"

"It is only a matter of time, Immortal Wei, only time."