Chapter 77 Disclosure

Wei Ying stared at her.

"Please explain."

Wei Ying stared at his husband. Lan Zhan never said please. The ears blazed a full on red at his scrutiny.

Well, then.

Wei Ying was going to ask some serious questions. Later.

He was fascinated with her eyes, though. It was slightly unnerving to see them change colour, but he was getting used to it.

"Something stopped me from delving further. You have to understand, in my lifetime, and I have been alive for thousands of years, there has been not a single person able to withstand my powers. And even stranger, I do not think she was doing it consciously. Something is protecting her."

Daden De Long put his arm around his wife.

"This is why she had passed out, when you found us."

"You can see why we are concerned. She is the only link we have to my brother, and we wish to reconcile with him. It might only be possible with her help." He said.

"What does Li XiWang want to do?" Wei Ying spoke for the first time. "I will be honest with you, I won't let her do anything she doesn't want to, or anything that will put her in danger."

Daden Yaonu bowed to him, and he was taken aback.

"I would not ask you to. I feel better now you have promised me."

"She showed us her pouch here, and it caused an energy surge. The water acted as a buffer, but it would be good if you take precautions for the next time." Daden De Long said.

"I will find my father first, and tell him what I have learned. He may be able to help us." Daden Yaonu said.

Wei Ying liked that she had said 'us' and hopefully meant them too.

"Li XiWang told us you live in a place called Gusu, Cloud Recesses? I will come and find you there."

Lan Zhan nodded and bowed. "It will be our honour to receive you as our guests."

Wow. Wow.

Wei Ying was floored. Just what was going on? That was possibly the longest sentence his husband had spoken to a stranger, and more so because she was a woman. Wei Ying could taste the bitter tang of vinegar.

"We have guests that arrived this morning. They are waiting to speak with you." Daden De Long was saying.

"Yes, please come with us." Daden Yaonu said. She led them into the Crystal Palace, to the Great Hall. Upon opening the doors, Wei Ying saw why the Valley of the Jiaoren was empty.

Every single resident was waiting for them here.

Their king, Shiyong Fei came forward and bowed, long and deeply.

But before he could raise his head, another body crashed into Wei Ying, followed by the steady falling of pearls.

"Shui, Shui, it's alright." Wei Ying patted his head, holding him close while Lan Zhan looked on, a scowl forming.

Let's see how you like it, Wei Ying thought, and continued to reassure the boy in his arms.

"Please stop crying. You know it hurts you." He told him, but Shui just held on tighter.

There were collective gasps at what he had said.

"Is that true?" Shiyong Fei asked him. "We did not know."

"Yes. I noticed it when he winced every time one came out. Nobody should make him cry from now on." Wei Ying started to hum, and it pacified Lan Zhan to hear their song.

Shui calmed himself immediately, curling into his chest and purring softly.

"We must convey our deepest gratitude and regret, Immortal ones." Shiyong Fei said, sounding sincere.

"Why regret? And gratitude, if I may ask?" Wei Ying asked curiously but he could tolerate the man who had locked him up under pretence of 'resting'.

"Regret for not respecting you, and for treating you as a prisoner. It is my deepest regret." Shiyong Fei bowed again. "And gratitude for two things. You have restored our Royal Son back to us. That is a gift that can never be repaid."

"Really?" Wei Ying had to admit, he was kind of satisfied with his grovelling.

"There is an old wives' tale regarding the Royal Son. No one knows if it's true, but why test it?" Shiyong Fei looked at them shrewdly.

"What is it?"

"It is said that the presence of the Royal Son means that our kingdom will continue to prosper, but should anything happen to him, misfortune will be waiting at our gates. That is the first reason for our gratefulness." He opened his palm.

Li XiWang's coin rested in his green palm.

Wei Ying picked it up, turning it this way and that.

"Pretty." Shui said, looking at it too.

Wei Ying had forgotten that the boy liked pretty things.

"The elders of our tribe foretold that when this coin is returned to our city, peace will reign for another thousand years." He bowed again.

"You are welcome. But please remember for the future, talking is always better than fighting." Wei Ying told him.

"Shall I carry him?" Lan Zhan offered, worried about Wei Ying.

Wei Ying had forgotten about his new found strength and consequently telling Lan Zhan about it. And now was not the time.

"It's okay, Lan Zhan. He doesn't weigh much." Wei Ying smiled effortlessly, but it only resulted a deepening of Lan Zhan's frown.

Li XiWang and the boys were ushered in. She came up to her fathers, her eyes wide with curiosity.

"Father? Who is this?" She asked, her hand hovering around his tail.

Wei Ying thought Shui might be scared of her, but he touched the one white lock of hair.

"Pretty." He said.

Li XiWang giggled. "May I touch him, father?"

"You have to ask him, little rabbit." Wei Ying smiled at both of them.

Li XiWang held out her hand, watching the boy with the vivid blue eyes stare right back at her.

Shui looked at Wei Ying, silently asking if he could.

When Wei Ying nodded, he tentatively gave his hand.

Li XiWang beamed and gave it a squeeze.

"Sister." Wei Ying told him. He already was thinking of Shui like he did his children, so what was one more?