Chapter 36 East

They took many breaks on the road. Wei Ying was mindful of the fact that this was Li XiWang's first long trip away from home, and perhaps her legs would hurt, being unused to walking for such long periods of time.

Their pace was leisurely and relaxed, taking in the scenery, and buying food to eat on impromptu picnics when they were far from any towns or villages.

Wei Ying loved exploring new market places with Li XiWang, and her sense of excitement looking at new things was contagious. Lan Zhan, ever the generous parent would be ready with his purse in case she wanted anything, but she turned out to be more frugal than anyone, saying things like, 'I'm just looking, father' or 'asking is asking and buying is buying' but refusing to let him buy anything.

Wei Ying watched his family with a strange sort of contentment; he had never experienced anything like this. He remembered going to the markets with his Shijie and Jiang Cheng, but more often than not, they ended up arguing or just buying something for his sister. It wasn't that he'd not paid attention, but more that it was different with his family.

The vendors would look at his children and especially Li XiWang, with her innocent curiosity, and would give her free samples of food to try, or a gift here and there, but she was content of mind, always deferring to her parents instead of accepting straight away.

Where possible, Lan Zhan would try to make sure they slept in inns and guest houses instead of out in the open.

On the third evening, they reached a village by nightfall. It looked quiet enough then and they found a small hostel to stay for the night. Their host offered to serve dinner in their dining room, and Wei Ying accepted, feeling the need to socialise a little, having been on the road for a while.

When they finished eating, their host seemed to want to ask them something, so Wei Ying took pity on the hovering man and asked him to sit with them.

"We have heard of the great cultivating clans, and if you don't mind me asking, are you from any of them?" He said, timidly.

The children remained silent, and looked at their parents. Wei Ying thought it would be best to try and maintain a sense of incognito, not to easily give away their identities because of the nature of their quest. They did not know what or who they may encounter and had prepared the children with that advice.

So he was able to lie quite easily, with the understanding that it had to be him; the other three were too honest, wholly incapable of breaking any of the famous Lan rules. It was too late for SiZhui, Wei Ying thought absentmindedly, but he was sure Li XiWang could be...persuaded, with the right argument...

"We are rogue cultivators, not aligned with any sect." He said out loud. "Why do you ask?"

"We were hoping someone would come to our aid. It is actually a quite embarrassing matter," he replied, cheeks turning a healthy shade of pink.

"What is the matter?" Wei Ying was the only one still drinking.

"We have disturbances at night, and I was going to warn you of them anyway, but I saw your sword," he looked at Lan Zhan, who wasn't wearing his friendly face, and he gulped, preferring to talk only to Wei Ying. "So I was hoping you might be able to do something about our troubles."

"What kind of troubles?" Wei Ying went to pour more wine into his cup but the jar was empty and he had to stare pointedly at the host, who hurried and got him a fresh one.

"We none of us know exactly what or who is causing the noises. If you can, please would you investigate?" He continued.

Wei Ying looked at Lan Zhan who gave a slight nod.

"Alright, we will see what we can do."

The host was extremely grateful, and showed them to their rooms.

"SiZhui, you will stay here with your sister. Let us see what is happening here." Wei Ying told him. "Meditate before you go to sleep, little rabbit. You have to become stronger. SiZhui will help you."

The children went into one room and the parents into the other.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying turned to his husband, cheekily grinning.

"Mn?"

"There are still a few hours left before we have to sleep..." he waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"Yes, Wei Ying should meditate too." Lan Zhan pulled the disappointed man down to sit next to him.

Not even ten minutes had gone by when Wei Ying decided it would be far more comfortable to sit in his favourite place, and promptly arranged himself on the other's lap.

Golden eyes opened, fixed attention on the silver orbs staring back.

Whatever Wei was going to say, left his mind as he drank in the glorious features of his husband. With his forefinger, he traced the brow of one eye, concentrating on his task with the sharp precision of an expert.

"You're so beautiful, Lan Zhan." He whispered as his finger traced over high cheek bones, and touched the familiar pink lips...aching to be kissed.

He took his time placing his lips just so upon those of his beloved, tracing their outlines with the tip of his tongue, before diving in, teeth clashing in an urgency that neither could stand. His lips were bitten and licked until Wei Ying was panting for breath, so turned on, he started removing his clothes. Long fingers helped him and they were just moving to the bed, when they were stopped by a chilling scream, just  outside and under their window.