Chapter 57 Heritage

The Crystal city of the Dragon Kings was indeed intimidating. Li XiWang was dazzled by the shiny buildings, constructed from sea crystals, a city so ancient and yet so vibrant with life. Tall crystal towers reached up towards the surface, windows so small, they looked like tiny dots.

Daden Yaonu held her hand and they walked forward slowly. The silver-haired beauty understood that this city took some getting used to. The little girl beside her was looking gradually overwhelmed, and she felt both sorry for it and regretful.

People began to notice them as they walked towards the Crystal Palace, gasps leaving their mouths resulting in pretty bubbles floating all around them.

And then, as a collective, people began to bow to the two beautiful females causing awe of themselves.

Why are they bowing to you? Li XiWang wondered. "Who are you?" She whispered, trying not to swallow the sea water.

"I told you, my name is Daden Yaonu. My husband and consort is the First Dragon King of the Sea, Daden De Long."

Li XiWang stopped walking. She tugged on the hand holding hers until Daden Yaonu stopped moving too. Li XiWang bowed to her deeply.

I'm sorry for any disrespect, she thought strongly.

Daden Yaonu laughed with delight. Li XiWang looked up at her, confused.

"You may bow because I am your aunt, but for no other reason."

You are my aunt? How?

"Come, child. All will be explained soon."

She took Li XiWang's hand again.

The Crystal Palace was even more beautiful the closer they got.

A huge gate made of silver, engraved with frescos of past victories, opened before them and then, they were standing in front of the double doors that would lead them inside.

No guards were visible, and yet the doors opened to let them into the massive courtyard.

Seven great towers spiralled around the Palace and a huge dome made entirely of clear crystal sat in the middle.

Li XiWang thought of her fathers. Were they worried about her? Most definitely.

Even SiZhui was probably braver than she was feeling now. Her fathers had never been scared of anything, she thought, but she could feel herself shaking like the leaves on the Great magnolia outside the Jingshi.

Inside her mind, a voice she recognized with unlimited joy, spoke.

"Little girl, I sense no threat. You are safe." Hui Gai appeared for only a second just to wink at her before disappearing.

Daden Yaonu looked at her in surprise.

"Why do you carry a demon?" She asked, curiosity colouring her words.

He's my friend, Li XiWang thought.

"Interesting."

Daden Yaonu held out her hand again, and this time, Li XiWang could take it with more confidence. This is just a house, she thought. A big house, but just a house. People sat in it, ate in it, slept in it. Just a house.

She could hear laughter beside her.

Daden Yaonu took her inside the Palace. But instead of walking straight ahead towards the great Hall that Li XiWang caught glimpses of, they turned away.

"There are seven Dragon Kings of the Sea. I will introduce you to six of them later, but we need to talk. I am taking you to a special place."

She pointed at a door on her left.

"I live here with the First King."

She walked forward to another door next to it. She opened it to reveal a blue room. Blue crystal decorated the walls but the ceiling was one transparent sheet. Li XiWang looked up to see creatures floating above them. It was an incredible sight.

Daden Yaonu came to sit beside her on the bed.

"Long ago, Father Time made the land and the sea. The land was solid and firm, and did not move, but the sea was wild and free, and untameable. So Father Time created the Dragons of the Sea. Since the beginning, they have controlled the tides, kept the invisible barrier strong so that the sea would not cross over onto the land. This saved many lives and the humans were happy."

Li XiWang nodded.

"The humans wanted to give a gift to the Dragon Kings, but they did not know what to give. They decided to ask them what they wanted, because they would know the best. The Dragon Kings were lonely, and they asked for companions. But they said, no ordinary women would do."

Li XiWang listened intently. What did they say?

"The humans asked them to be patient and they went to ask Father Time for help. At that time, many wars broke out because of conflicts on the lands and Father Time had already thought of a solution. He called upon the Great Phoenix of Peace to bestow his blessings upon the world. The Great Phoenix fell in love with our mother, and they married. Our mother was a renowned beauty, and she had decided not to marry just anyone. Our father, the Great Phoenix made many gifts for her, and then promised her a child for every one of the long feathers in his tail."

How many feathers did he have?

"Our father had seven, and he promised to give her a daughter for every one. The humans were happy because Phoenix daughters are special, and what better way to honour the Dragon Kings than to present us seven sisters for the seven kings?"

But didn't you say you were going to introduce me to the six dragons? What happened? Li XiWang looked at her anxiously.

Daden Yaonu patted her hand and gently pushed her so she was lying down on the bed, looking at scenic roof. A dolphin swam by, but Li XiWang was too worried to be happy.

"Let me finish, niece and then you will understand."

Li XiWang liked being called niece. She wondered exactly how, but as this lady, no, her aunt, was going to explain everything, she decided to be patient and just listen.

"Our father, the Great Phoenix, was a master of sound and all the arts. We, the seven Sirens inherited his gift of song. Coupled with our incredible beauty, for we look the same, and the Dragon Kings were content to marry us. Everything was arranged and seven marriages were announced, to take place on the first day of spring.

"Unbeknownst to my father, the seventh Dragon King was not here. He spent much of his time on the lands which were now flourishing, protected from the sea. He came to visit his family on the first spring day, and both families were overjoyed.

"But he did not come alone."