Chapter 71 Flight

Time stood still.

Wei Ying couldn't breathe.

He was dimly aware of Kedou taking Shui from his arms, of his feet taking him to where the other half of himself lay.

Lan Zhan didn't seem to be breathing.

He just lay there, and for once, Wei Ying didn't know what to do. His hands fluttered uselessly above Lan Zhan's body, his mind a mess of jumbled thoughts, refusing to believe what he was seeing.

"Lan Zhan?" He whispered, hesitantly shaking him. "Wake up...please!"

Lan Zhan's hand fell open and the coin that Li XiWang had given him fell on the ground.

Wei Ying couldn't care.

"Child. Child!" A voice next to his ear, and a shake of his shoulders, had him looking into violet eyes.

A white haired woman smiled kindly at him.

"Take him to your daughter. She's the only one who can help him now."

When Wei Ying didn't do anything, she realised he was still in shock.

"NOW!" She shook both of his shoulders, jarring him out of his stupor.

He stood up on shaky legs. "Where is she?"

"He took her to the shore."

There was something about her that had Wei Ying trust her.

"I can take you. It will be faster." Suanni said, and then he threw back his massive head and roared.

That did it.

Wei Ying picked up Lan Zhan into his arms and flew to sit upon the wide shoulders of the gigantic beast. Seconds later they broke through the water, and flew towards the little crowd on the shore.

********

JingYi had pointed to a huge creature, bigger than the dragons that were, in his mind, the biggest ones he'd seen. They had all turned to see what he was looking at, but then it dived into the sea and they were left wondering if they'd actually seen something that big.

"You saw it too, right?" Jiang Cheng asked Jin Ling for confirmation, who still had his arms around SiZhui.

"I don't know." He murmured, looking out across the sea.

JingYi squealed.

And then he was laughing and crying. "My babies!!"

He had been standing, watching the phenomenon that was Suanni enter the ocean...and then something licked his face. He was surrounded by three red faces, eagerly pushing each other to lick him first and more, their bodies curling around his in a possessive way, and JingYi looked up to see the proud dragon parents staring at the four of them a distance away.

"I'm not sure you can still call them that..." Jin Ling smirked.

"They will always be my babies," JingYi cried, hotly, before stroking two faces sweetly and lamenting that he didn't have a third hand for the one that was left out, who decided he could still be licked.

"Look! It's coming towards us!" SiZhui cried, but he recognised his father, and then the person he was carrying.

They all stepped back as Suanni settled on the ground. XiChen was startled by the noise.

Wei Ying flew down from the back of the magnificent creature  with Lan Zhan still held close to his chest. Tears streamed down his face.

"Didi!"