Chapter 21 Nostalgia

They were flying back home to Gusu on Bichen. Wei Ying had fallen asleep a while back and Lan Zhan was enjoying the subtle weight of him on his back, arms loosely wrapped around his neck and the small warm puff of air he released as he slept.

The weight was a little bit less than he would've liked, but so far, nothing else was wrong with his husband. That word made him feel warm inside, that they belonged to each other and nothing could change that. His Wei Ying was special.

The time when he was but fifteen years old had long gone but he was able to recall every emotion when his world had exploded into unwanted colour. Unwanted at first, but craved like an addiction once he realised who had changed him so devastatingly.

Wei Ying was like an eternal fire, magma, uncontrollable and wild, burning everything in its path, leaving only the purest kind of love.

What would have happened if he had not chanced upon the Jiang family members and their disciples as they had tried to enter Cloud Recesses without their invitation? Or if they hadn't forgotten it in the first place? And he hadn't been on duty that first night, to catch a wayward soul?

When he thought about it, the many chances they'd had, that could have been missed, were many, and he thanked the universe once again for allowing him this gift, the gift that was Wei Ying.

They passed the white Jade pillars marking the gates of Cloud Recesses, but Lan Zhan didn't stop as he normally did. He flew straight to the Jingshi, where the children were waiting. He had plans tonight, and nothing was going to change them.

Wei Ying stirred awake, blinking sleepily. He was so cute. Lan Zhan smiled at his face, pouting because of disturbing his rest, but it turned into a brilliant smile upon seeing his face. Silver eyes sparkled in delight as he leaned in for a kiss.

"Children." Lan Zhan managed to say just before it turned into something else.

Wei Ying pulled back, grinning like a fool and completely without embarrassment, turned to face the kids. The little girl ran into his arms straight away.

Wei Ying kissed her cheeks in greeting.

"I missed you, but SiZhui-Ge came back sooner." Her eyes shone with mischief.

Wei Ying put her down and hugged his son. "How are you feeling?" He asked, whispering so nobody else heard.

"I'm still shaking. I don't know what to think, yet." He admitted. But a small smile played on his lips.

"I think he just needs time." Wei Ying told him.

He was just about to go inside, when Lan Zhan took his hand.

"Not yet."

"Huh?" He heard the door of the Jingshi close behind him, so he turned to look and found that the children had left them alone. He turned back.

Lan Zhan was staring at him.

"Is there something on my face? You should ha-" his words were cut of by the other pair of soft lips.

He would never get tired of this giddy excitement wrapped up in the present that was Lan Zhan. He curled into him, arms wrapped around his neck, love like a physical thing encasing them in a place that was just theirs.

"I love you, Lan Zhan." Wei Ying couldn't look away from the golden gaze pinning him in place, the intensity making him shiver.

"Mn." Lan Zhan took his hand and started walking away.

He had no choice but to follow, the abrupt change making his head spin, more than that super hot kiss. Wei Ying skipped to his side and laughed.

"You're full of surprises today. Where are we going?"

Lan Zhan had briefly paused when he'd laughed, looking at him with adoration upon hearing the melodic sound.

"Wei Ying should laugh more." He replied and continued their walk.

"That's not an answer! Lan Zhaaan!" As he was hauled up the mountain path.

Lan Zhan remained surprisingly quiet, not saying another word. Wei Ying looked around him, and found that they were walking a familiar path, but one he hadn't needed to use in a long while.

When they reached the top of the mountain, he gasped and ran forward. On the ground, lay a lantern, its sides blank and waiting to be filled. He looked back at Lan Zhan, questions in his eyes.

"It is our anniversary. I thought we should follow tradition and-"

Wei Ying had grabbed his face and shown him what he thought of that. A few minutes later, they broke apart, both breathing heavily.

"Let's do it!" Wei Ying pulled him down and they each grabbed a brush.

This time, two beautiful bunnies were drawn by Wei Ying and Lan Zhan wrote a few characters. He lit the flame that allowed the lantern to float and then, once Wei Ying had also grasped the other side, they let go together.

As before, they clasped hands and made their wishes. This time, Wei Ying sealed them with a long kiss, as warm hands pulled him ever closer.

"Thank you, Lan Zhan. I know you said not to say that, and in particular, why not those two words. I know how you felt when I said them." He leaned back so he could see into golden eyes.

Lan Zhan took in a quick breath at the sight of tears falling from his eyes.

"Don't cry. Wei Ying must not." His thumbs tried in vain to stop the flow, but more came out, glinting silver in the pale moonlight.

"I can't help it. I forgot...my memory isn't the same as before...in this body. But I'm sorry."

Lan Zhan held him closer, letting his robes soak up his tears.

"No need. Love Wei Ying."

Wei Ying let the steady beating of his heart calm his mind. This was his safe place, where nothing could touch him.

Lan Zhan bent and picked him up. They came down the mountain like that, looking at nothing else but each other. When they reached outside the Jingshi, Lan Zhan put him down, but held him back from entering, again.

"Wei Ying must close his eyes."

"Why?"

"Not telling. Must close eyes." Lan Zhan came forward and went to put his hand over them, but Wei Ying grabbed his wrist.

"Okay, okay!" He complied and let him be led inside.

"Surprise!" The children chorused, and he was allowed to look.

Lots of candles were lit and there was a cake in the middle of the table, and four place settings.

Dinner was a lively event, the children chattering away. Mostly Li XiWang; Wei Ying noticed SiZhui refraining from talking more beyond one word answers, and he made a mental note to talk to him later. Lan Zhan also remained quiet, but that was to be expected and Wei Ying didn't mind.

After dinner, dishes were put away and the children left. Wei Ying got up and folded himself into his favourite place, somewhere that was also his husband's favourite, he'd learned. Heavy golden eyes focused on only him and he had to look away.

"You make everyday special, Lan Zhan, but today was wonderful."

"Mn."

Wei Ying threaded his fingers with Lan Zhan's, smiling at how they looked together. Slightly browner fingers rested against impeccably white ones, calloused and slightly rough. He lovingly brought their joined hands closer and kissed them.

Lan Zhan turned his face towards him with his free hand and captured his lips. There were no children around, he thought with a predatory smile.

Wei Ying felt the change immediately, and leaned back to see. His face transformed into a mix of excitement and a dash of fear.

"Ah, I'm tired! Let's go to sleep!" He tried to wriggle away but strong hands held him close.

"No. Wei Ying is mine, tonight."

"What are you going to do?" He couldn't help but smile delightedly.

"No more talking." Lan Zhan stood up, still holding him.

Wei Ying was tossed onto the bed, and the candles put out.