Chapter 1

Shandrelle | Sweet home

Indistinct chatters.

Loud giggling from teenagers taking series of pictures in each corner of the rails.

Speakers chime.

1 ding.

2 ding.

"Passengers for Flight MC 349 to South Korea, please proceed to gate 6."

"Passengers for Flight JL 923 to New York, please proceed to gate 2."

Automated voice mail machines heard in the intercom.

As series instructions were announced, people stood up and proceeded to their respective flights.

"Thank you for choosing Philippine Airlines. Happy to serve you."

Flight attendants bid gratitude, accompanied with a bow gesture after each person passed through- including us, as we exited on the aisle.

And now we wait.

People lined up, waiting for turns to escalate down.

Once reached below, another set of people get in line as the baggage carousel delivers the checked luggage of each passengers to be reclaimed by its owners. And so, we wait again.

"Dad! Jesus Christ! What the hell?!"

"Mercy Shandrelle! Do you have to summon the two mortal enemies of the world?" his scoffs let you know that you really have to answer his pathetic question.

"I really am planning to if you don't tell me what the hell did you put inside this luggage of yours?!" and so I stupidly cave in to it and just gained a devilish laugh.

"Jesus! Don't you have a dead body inside of here to be this heavy?!" I hissed as my hips started to vault which made me look like a goddamn 70-year old woman who just began experiencing a decline of estrogen while dragging a hundred pound suitcase! Damn it, his luggage is killing me!

"Ahh, indeed, 'the apple never falls far from the tree'" he let out a faint chuckle.

Oh God, not again.

He and his damn apple metaphors.

"I remember how your mother's mouth was like a load of shotgun always full of babbling here and out for every single time" his chuckles escalated quickly into laughters.

"And you young lady, would you stop making me miss your mother like that and stop being so overdramatic?" he patted my head, ruffles my hair like I was a goddamn dog sticking its tongue out, getting petted for being a good boy. Jesus, what the hell? That only justifies when he seriously just pretended that he heard nothing and walk past through me.

Is this even my father? Ugh!

"Are you even for real dad?!" I could already feel the blood drain circulating my body.

"Come on! Stop being a wimp and hurry up! The taxi has been waiting long enough with your oh so melodramatic ass!" he hurried his steps and seriously left me dragging his suitcase. Damn it!