thirty five

Joselyn Myers

"I'm excited." I turned to my right to see Harry maniacally rubbing his hands together in the passenger seat of our rental car, as if he was getting ready for some evil plan. I figured it'd be easier to rent a car rather than calling an Uber to my own father's house, obviously this time being back home I wasn't staying there for the weekend like I normally would, so I won't have the luxury of being able to steal my dad's Jeep if wanted to go somewhere.

"I think you've said that about 50 times this morning." I chuckled, pressing the start engine button to the clean, brand new 2020 Nissan Rogue. Harry laughed as well, already pressing the screen in the middle to connect his phone for music.

"I know, but right now I'm excited to experience driving with you through your hometown...where the road rage started." He faked a mysterious tone, raising one eyebrow to add even more dramatization. I immediately rolled my eyes, of course he would be excited to drive with because of that. I've only ever had him drive with me once before, the day I got my new car to be exact, and that wasn't as long of a drive as this will be, so I guess this probably feels like the first time for him.

"I'll have you know, I didn't start getting bad with it until I moved to LA. The people over there just can't drive." I huffed quietly after finishing my thought, even just thinking about it annoyed me. Harry was already laughing again at my response, clearly still getting a kick out of the thought of me having bad road rage.

Just wait until you see it in action Harry, it won't be funny then.

"I don't think it's that bad, you've just got to learn how to be patient with the annoying ones." He reached over quickly to pat my knee lightly with a cheeky smile.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen." I scoffed, looking up in my rear view mirror to make sure I was good to back out of the parking spot in front of the hotel we were staying at.

Thankfully, when we landed this morning in Kalamazoo, it wasn't too much of a hassle to get to our hotel and check in. Even the rental car had already been arranged, so it was ready and waiting for us so we could just head straight there. Of course I made Harry drive us then, but that was only because I was dead tired at that point. I lost track of how many games of Scrabble we ended up playing, both of us coming out winners, but Harry still pouted whenever he didn't win.

We didn't get much sleep because by the time we were able to go to bed, it was close to 4 am, and it was now 10 am and we were already up and running. Since my dad told us to get there around noon, I figured we could stop for some coffee and actually take our time with breakfast rather than rushing to my dad's right after waking up. The hotel was only a 15 minute drive from the house, so it wasn't any trouble.

I knew I had to take Harry to my local coffee shop that I love coming to when I'm here. I obviously didn't grow up here since my dad and the twins moved from Detroit to Kalamazoo after I moved to LA, but I've learned to love this area just as much from coming to visit since then.

"You gonna give me a tour of the town?" I turned to the side as I pulled onto the main road, seeing Harry give me a wide grin, just looking so happy and I loved it seeing that on him.

"Maybe, I'll be honest with you, I don't know the area too well since I actually grew up in Detroit. I only know what's around here really." I paused, feeling a smirk creep up onto my lips. "But I'm sure my sisters would love to show you around." In the corner of my eye, I saw his eyes widen in a small panic. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten that they're pretty big fans of his, upon my doing of course. I taught them well.

"Oh, I'm sure that'll be fun." He let out a nervous chuckle, but I could tell he wasn't actually worried. "Do you think that they'll make a big deal of me being there?" His voice got a bit quieter, and when I quickly glanced over at him I noticed he seemed a bit tense all of a sudden.