forty seven

elodie phillips

The summer had gone by slow. It's slower than it should've been. However, my days alone in my room turned to weeks, which turned to months.

The leaves on the trees were starting to turn, signaling the new season. The air was crisp and fresh.

Just like the colors outside, something had turned in me too. The summer made me bitter.

At first, I was angry. Why would my parents lie to me? Why would they act as if it were nothing? Why's, how's, what's, when's.

Then I was fearful. What would happen to me? Am I a liability? Would my parents do something?

But now, after months in solitude, I am adjusted. Numb to the fact that my parents aren't who I thought they were. Numb to the fact that I was now forced through change.

Change. I never really was a big fan of it.

But everything has changed.

-

In a normal year, I would be packing my things onto a small compartment on the Hogwarts Express. Now, I carry my trunk with me as I board a carriage lead by a group of pegasi.

The energy was buzzing. Cut and pasted girls scattered the boarding grounds, all excruciatingly pretty.

I sat amongst a group of girls, all dressed in their silk blue uniforms. They talked and gossiped, giggled, and smiled. I tried to form at least a soft smile to hide my irritability.

"Are you new?" a girl asked. I looked over at her. She twisted her golden blonde hair in her finger, her long eyelashes batting at me. A veela, I'm guessing.

"Yeah, I'm new," I replied, my voice more bitter than I intended it to be. The rest of the girls turned to face me. Their eyes are bright and their face is delicate.

"Where'd you come from?" another girl chimed in. The two girls looked almost identical. Blonde hair, blue eyes, annoyingly perfect.

"Hogwarts," I answered shortly.

"Why'd you come here?" They asked together.

"No one ever told me the students at Beauxbatons were painfully nosy," I remarked, rolling my eyes slightly. The girls jumped back a bit, surprised by my comment.

No one talked for the rest of the carriage ride.

-

The sorting ceremony at Beauxbatons was different. Students were to shoot an arrow with their name engraved in it across the room. The arrow would soon burst into their house color.

There were three houses at Beauxbatons.

Bellefeuille; bravery, sensitivity, loyalty.

Pappilonlisse; maturity, kindness, idealistic.

Ombrelune; cunning, logical, ambitious.

As a new student, I was to be sorted with the first years. They had me go first. I stood in front of the dining hall, which was decorated neatly, and grabbed the bow and arrow.

I wore my bright blue uniform, my hair nearly curled. I was clean and proper. No one would ever guess that my father was a murderer, that my mother was just as evil.

No one knew anything about me. Nothing of my old self, my past. Nobody knew the Elodie Phillips that I left behind. I wasn't the same.

I had never shot an arrow before.

My eyes scanned the crowd as I pulled the string back. Boys and girls of all ages were staring back at me.

I looked at the target ahead of me. Bright red, like most.

I focused on it. I pulled back the arrow once more and let go, feeling it slip off of my fingertips.

Maybe, I imagined, maybe that target was my parents. Sending me off to a foreign school because of their mistakes.

I smiled as the arrow hit the target, preferably my parents, and burst into a dark blue cloud. Ombrelune.

I don't want to kill my parents, of course, that's evil. I just wished that they could feel the same pain I went through. Instead of emotionally, it would be physically.

A table on the far left side of the room burst into applause. I flashed a quick smile before going back to my usual glare.

I sat down at the end, not wanting to talk to anyone. All I needed to do was get through these next two years, then I would be done.

I looked down at the table, seeing all of the smiling faces that sat with me. My eyes met the dark ones of a boy. Shaggy blonde hair, playful smirk.

I looked away.

"Hey there," a low voice greeted. I looked up. It was the boy across the table.

"Hey," I answered, smiling a bit.

"For Merlin's sake, Kai," another voice huffed, female. "Could you stop running off announced? Oh, hey."

The girl looked at me, her dark brown hair flying over her shoulder. She was quite gorgeous actually, with caramel skin and a flashing smile.

I smiled a bit and waved.

"I'm Adi," she introduced, holding out her hand.

"Elodie," I replied, returning her gesture.

"Elodie..?" Adi drawled out, looking for my last name.

People here really were nosy.

"Elodie Phillips."

"Stop prowling her with questions," the boy advised Adi. His voice was low and slow, in contrast to Adi's bright and bubbly tone. He turned his attention back to me, his eyes boring into mine.

They almost reminded me of Draco's. The way that his eyes looked into mine. Instead of grey, they shined a bright blue.

I missed Draco's grey eyes. Only one response all summer. I missed him. He was the only part of Elodie Phillips that remained. The old one, at least.

"I'm Malakai," the boy introduced. "But just call me Kai."

I smiled and nodded.

"Everyone kind of has a nickname," Kai explained. "You see, Adi's real name is Aditi."

"And I hate it," she chimed in.

"So we need a nickname for you," Kai proposed.

"Any ideas?" I asked.

"What about Ellie?" Adi suggested.

"Not that one. My dead ex-boyfriend called me that."

"Oh."

"Elle." Kai threw out. "Any dead boyfriends call you that?"

"No," I replied.

"Elle then," he repeated smoothly. "Welcome to Beauxbatons."

-