seventy

elodie phillips

may 2, 1989

I stood up, brushing the crushed rocks and debris off of my body. I was painted with dark blue bruises and fresh red cuts. My head throbbed with a dull pain, and my ears gently rang.

The voice of Draco Malfoy brought me back to my senses.

"Lola, are you sure you want to go alone?" His arms were wrapped around me, his hands brushing through my hair.

"I'm sure, Draco," I replied quietly. "This isn't your battle to fight."

He released from the hug, his hands now cupped around my cheeks. I watched as tears filled his glossy eyes.

"Draco," I laughed a bit. "I'm just getting new instructions. I promise, it'll be fine."

"I know," he sighed in reply. "I just don't like leaving you like this."

"You have been by my side for years, Draco," I reassured, gently brushing my thumbs over his arms.

He silently nodded in reply. I placed my hand underneath his chin, gently lifting it so his eyes would meet mine.

"I love you, Draco," I spoke.

"I love you too, Lola," he choked. I took my thumb and wiped the tears that were streaming down his face.

I took my first steps away from him and walked backward as his figure got smaller.

"In sickness and health!" I shouted at him, a smile spreading across my face to make him feel better.

"In sickness and health," I heard his distant voice reply.

"Forever and always, Draco!" I called out, turning back around so I wouldn't face him.

"Forever and always, Lola!" he shouted in return, his voice wavering a bit.

I hastily wiped away the tears that were forming in my eyes.

I had no idea what would become of me. I had no idea if that was the last moment I had with Draco, but I treated it like it was.

Because truth be told, I had no idea what was about to happen.

I slowly made my way across the broken courtyard of Hogwarts. I watched bright lights dance in my vision, spells flying across the grounds.

My eyes grazed the stone ground, looking over the piles of bodies that lay there. My heart skipped a beat, knowing that I was sided with the people that started this.

"Someone help!" I heard someone cry from across the yard. My head turned as I continued to make my way to the forbidden forest.

My eyes met with Adi's as she held a bleeding boy in her arms.

My breath faltered, and I decided that my impending death could wait.

I broke into a sprint, my heart pounding and head racing as I made my way closer to Adi.

"Elle, thank God," she breathed, tears running down her face. "I don't think I can save him."

I looked at the boy in her arms, his blonde hair disheveled across his forehead.

My heart shattered as I saw the blood streaming from his stomach. Adi set him to the ground, his head resting against her stomach.

"Hello, love," he chuckled weakly, his bright eyes meeting mine.

"Kai," I sighed, running my hands through his hair. "What trouble have you gotten into now?"

He coughed a bit, his eyes wrinkling in pain. "I fought a death eater," he replied. I could hear the pride in his voice. "If you think this is bad, you should see him."