sixty

elodie phillps

My head was pounding, and my heartbeat was lazy. I heard a gentle ring in my ears as I rubbed my face.

I tried to remember what had happened, why I was in my house.

My eyes wandered my kitchen, where I sat in a chair at the dining table. Everything was the same as before. My house used to be my safe space, my home. Now, it is the place I despise the most, filled with bitter memories.

My eyes met the ones of my parents, and I remembered why I was here. They caught me, spelled me, and took me out of school, away from my friends.

They sat in front of me, at the opposite end of the table. My mother had her hands folded, and my father still looked ashamed.

"What did you do to me?" I asked them, my tone already harsh.

"We had to calm you down, Elodie," my mother drawled. She lost the sweetness that she spoke with earlier. "You were getting hostile."

"Says the ones who kidnapped me," I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

"Do not mumble, Elodie," my father spoke.

"Says the ones who kidnapped me," I replied, my voice sarcastically loud. "You are insane."

"We're homeschooling you," Mother proposed. "You have proven that you cannot be trusted outside of the home."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I shouted, my body turning red with anger. I couldn't hold back anymore.

"Elodie, please calm down."

"I cannot calm down mother! You forcibly took me from my real home!" I yelled once more, my body shaking with anger. The house started rattling, and I could hear the kitchen plates slam together in their cabinets.

My parents exchanged fleeting looks. They were scared of me. I never liked being the intimidating one, but something about this newfound power made me feel strong.

My father stuttered as he spoke. "Go to your room."

"That is the best you have?" I laughed, looking around. "It may seem like it, father, but I'm not a child anymore. I've grown because of all the shit you put me through."

A plate flew out of the cabinet, whizzing above his head. I smiled and turned around to walk away. I wasn't going to have the same argument over and over again.

As I made my way upstairs, I couldn't help but laugh as I heard all of their precious heirlooms and antiques crash behind me.

My parents always wanted to suppress the magic that appeared when I lost my temper, and I finally figured out why.

I was more powerful than them.

-

A few weeks of being held captive in my own home passed. The spring season was beginning to bloom. The flowers in my garden started to sprout again, but it was no longer a sanctuary to me.

I was in hell.

My parents were still scared of me, flinching every time I raised my hand.

I wanted to escape. I gave my parents the benefit of the doubt by hanging around, to build their trust.

Apparation was a wonderful practice. The best escape route with minimal sneaking around.